Kier Housing Maintenance is looking to recruit a Commercial Manager to undertake responsibility for a varying number of contracts and full ownership of the Commercial discipline in relation to these contracts.
The successful candidate will hold overall accountability to increase value, reduce cost, drive profit and manage risk in a safe and ethical manner.
The post holder will play an important part in advising the Business Unit Management Team in all Commercial aspects and assist in strategic leadership, direction and development of the Housing Maintenance business. This will also include responsibility for identifying new commercial opportunities and driving growth across the businesses’ activities.
The role will be based at our Sheffield location although frequent visits to our contracts, clients and other Kier offices throughout the UK will be expected.
- To grow revenue, margins and cash balances
- To identify and avert commercial risk and convert commercial opportunities
- To contribute to the Business Unit Strategy, Direction and Business Plans
- To work closely with the Business Unit Management Team to roll-out initiatives
- To lead a team including, Commercial, Estimating, Surveying, Governance, Procurement and Administration. This will also cover all aspects associated with performance management, Personal Performance Reviews, disciplinary action and learning and development of the team.
- Accountability for the profitability against a range of differing contracts through a Contract Review process and taking ownership for the bridge between tendered and required margins.
- Assistance within tender production and tender settlement. To ensure the commercial team play a pivotal role in the handover of the tender and are proactive in setting challenging profitability targets to support the business plan.
- To quickly understand tender risk as well as net pricing / assumptions made within the bid and to develop coping and mitigation strategies in line with Kier Standing Orders.
- Accountable for the team who manage the selection of subcontractors for tender enquiries ensuring that a balanced range is chosen capable of delivering the required price, quality and duration.
- Accountability for the valuation process ensuring that applications are maximised and made on time and then ensuring that this is converted as a minimum to the contract terms into invoices and cash. Also, being responsible for hitting required cash targets. Production, monitoring and ownership of cash flow forecasts.
- Accountable for the resolution of contractual issues both client and supply chain facing.
- To be proactive in resolving issues and taking a leading active role in seeking solutions directly with clients and supply-chain.
- To ensure that the contract review process focuses on performance (via the Commercial Plan), WIP, debt, etc. and to ensure that forecast final cost, value and profit reconciliations are produced against the contracts. This will be part of the Kier Value Cost reconciliation and End Life Forecast.
- To ensure all variations are produced and claimed, including other formal records for extra works and to maximise the evaluation of these.
- Responsibility for the collection of Final Account Certificates and the on-time release of retentions, bonds, Parent Company Guarantees, reserves, etc.
- To maintain accurate records and reports.
- Manage the coordination and timely requests for extensions of time, plus recovery of loss and expense when required.
- To ensure the team produces claims for accelerations, loss and expense as required for submission when required.
- To take ownership for contractual issues that may arise within the Business Unit including pre-contract.
- To drive the efficiency of the Business Unit in line with Kier requirements.
- To own and drive the Pre-Contract and Risk Review Process.
- Experience of working with senior teams
- Chartered status -desirable
- Recognised building/technical qualifications – degree level or equivalent
- Effective and experienced leader of teams in this field
- Commercial focus and IT Literacy
- Motivated self-starter and ability to manage own workload
- Team player and willing to get involved in the detail when needed
- Flexible and able to travel within the UK when required
- A broad knowledge of contract law and be able to deal confidently with both lawyers and clients
- Be able to stand back and look at the whole picture when making rational decisions
- To ensure appropriate resourcing and capacity management against varying project demand
- To act as a source of expertise on all commercial related issues
- To develop and nurture a team spirit across all disciplines
- Provide solutions and actions
Please note the successful candidate will be subject to a DBS check
Being part of Kier means living our values of being collaborative, enthusiastic and forward thinking. We all have the potential to shape our world, and it’s through these values that we will leave a lasting legacy. Bring your talent and ambition to Kier and you will be given the scope and opportunity to invest in your own future, to build your expertise and contribute to a rich and diverse culture.