Main purpose of the role:
Member of collegiate legal team working primarily on the implementation of the Group's Brexit strategy. The Group for these purposes includes the Cantor Fitzgerald Group including Irish and UK entities and relevant branches, and the BGC Group including UK, French and Swiss entities with a number of branches in France, Germany, Ireland and Spain. The businesses are primarily financial services orientated but also include insurance and real estate.
This is a visible role with regular interaction with business people and management. There is a genuine European dimension to the remit as well as substantial autonomy and responsibility. The environment is fast paced and the customer base is very demanding therefore the role requires a person who is able to deal with pressure, can commit to deadlines and work at a good pace. The contractual hours are 9 am to 6 pm but these are regarded as the minimum working hours.
A list of the main duties and expected outcomes of the role:
- Assisting with the setting of Brexit policy and implementation of the same
- Assisting with corporate and business reorganisations involving the setting up of new branches and offices where required
- Directing and liaising with outside counsel in various European jurisdictions
- Reviewing all in-coming and out-going documentation relating to the Brexit project
- Liaising with other departments including tax and employment
- Review and redrafting of internal and external facing documentation including policies and procedures, terms of business etc.
- Liaising with external clients and review of their Brexit facing documentation
- Liaising with internal stakeholders and external vendors to ensure all legal queries and documentation are reflective of the business objectives and in line with regulatory requirements
- Reviewing Brexit compliance of vendor contracts and other agreements as required
- Responding to matters and queries relating to the project
- Project management, attending meetings with internal clients
- Interest and willingness to learn and manage the project
Skills / experience required:
English or Commonwealth qualified lawyer with a minimum of 4 years post qualification experience. Breadth of role, title and salary may vary depending on relevant experience.
Experience of working within the financial sector particularly welcome, although would also consider candidates with other relevant in house or private practice experience.
Compliance and MIFID II experience useful.
- Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Knowledge and experience of documentation management systems would be useful
The department is always very lively and busy so the candidate should be able to deal with competing demands in a mature and sensible fashion as well as building rapport with stakeholders and colleagues. The candidate will be exposed to matters of strategic importance to the firm and the wider group so discretion and confidentiality is essential.
- Self-starter and capable of working independently with minimal supervision
- Confident to tackle wide range of issues
- Takes ownership of requirements/issues and ensures they are resolved to meet objectives
- Very organised, disciplined and responsive
- Demonstrates an understanding of clients and their commercial needs
- Is able to liaise with and give guidance to the business and other departments in a firm, yet polite and effective manner
- Shares knowledge/experience with team
- Strong developed written and verbal communication skills
- Good reporting skills