Techs on the beach
On April 14, 1981, in Honolulu, Hawaii, William “Bill” Melton incorporated his new tech company. The original intention was to provide a recourse for retailers who’d been swindled by people handing out bad checks. Bill's product was a kind of verification device using phone lines—a verification phone.
But then a pivot. The credit card industry was relatively new at the time and processing was still being done with carbon paper. Bill saw a way to reduce costs for companies like Visa and MasterCard, while capitalizing on this new technology. Instead of verifying checks, we would provide local businesses a means to electronically process credit card payments. The Verifone payment device was born.
Now, Verifone is one of the world’s largest POS terminal vendors and a leading provider of payment and commerce solutions. We operate in more than 150 countries and employ nearly 6,000 people globally. Our steady growth has come organically, through a dedication to innovation and strategic partnerships, as well as from savvy acquisitions.
Position Summary: Commercial Counsel for German market
Legal Counsel: Manages legal business matters pertaining to the organization. Provides a variety of general corporate and commercial legal services to a number of in-house clients. Acts as advisor on legal issues involving the organization’s government and regulatory compliance. Reviews legal data and advises organization on appropriate legal action to be taken. Performs litigation on the company’s behalf or coordinates litigation and other legal matters handled by outside counsel. Demonstrates experience in general corporate matters, including corporate organization, securities compliance, drafting transactional documents, license agreements, employment law, immigration law, data privacy, risk management asset-backed financing, and contract management. Experience in trade secrets, advertising law, registration and other resolutions specific to the computer and technology industry as well as SEC reporting. Requires a law degree.
- A JD or LL.B from a top law school and a license to practice law in Germany.
- Experience in a combination of international law firms and the legal department of multinational corporations or organisations with experience in technology, intellectual property licensing and leadership role
- Executive presence and a leadership style that produces confidence and respect of Verifone executives, business teams, senior technical personnel, and license compliance personnel.
- Understanding and experience in ZAG/BaFin regulation
- Deep understanding of legal issues related to intellectual property.
- Extensive experience developing commercial business models for new products, services and markets.
- Experience in a similar role, with specific experience of working with a technology company.
- Excellent presentation skills and outstanding communication skills.
- Proven record of building cross-functional relationships and encouraging team work and collaboration.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Possess the ability to develop and maintain a long-term, effective working relationships at all levels with outstanding client service attitude (proactive, immediately responsive, superb interpersonal skills).
- Be able to fully appreciate and help shape the “big picture” while maintaining excellent attention to detail.
- Possess the ability to organise and prioritise tasks, handle high-pressure situations and deadlines, and render practical advice in a timely fashion.
- Exhibit a high degree of integrity, discretion, confidence, motivation, and resourcefulness.
- Be able to adapt to changing situations and handle a wide range of legal issues.
- Ability to travel as necessary and expected 1 trip to US headquarters (California) each year.
- Strategic-minded and growth-oriented and able to support the European growth strategy.
- Customer- and internal partner-oriented: who can understand and anticipate the market in terms of its needs and direction. Ensure partnering relationships with distributors and partners, and provide outstanding service levels and product alignment.
- Good presentation skills to represent Verifone Europe at internal and external events, e.g. customer meetings or trade shows.
Scope and Responsibilities:
Handle legal operations for Germany, including business contracts, commercial transactions and contracts, human resources, technology research and engineering support, export compliance, corporate structure, etc.
- Negotiate and draft all major commercial license agreements with key customers in Germany and within Europe generally.
- Counsel the company’s business, finance, compliance, research and development teams, and headquarter legal members on a wide variety of legal issues.
- Liaise between staff and local counsel for legal matters.
- Provide information and training to internal groups as required.
- Provide such other commercial, litigation and compliance management support as may be assigned by Verifone executives.
- Work collaboratively and in partnership with the compliance organisation.
- Key Attributes:
- Experienced lawyer in payments and/or technology.
- Business-minded with excellent business judgment and ability to serve as a partner to the senior business executives.
- Strong/Demonstrated management and leadership skills and abilities.
- Strong cultural fit with Verifone’s collaborative environment.
- Personal Attributes:
- Results oriented with strong business acumen.
- Communicative and transparent.
- Capability to understand and pursue the strategic objectives of the organisation.
- Ambitious with an ability to maintain high standards and of excellence and results while working independently.
- Ability to engage with key leadership along with good influencing/facilitating skills thereby able to work collaboratively with business/technology groups across the organisation and region.
- Naturally able to network, build and maintain relationships.
- Comfort with matrix reporting.
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to think and act strategically with strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Diplomatic and able to execute in a fast paced environment.
Verifone is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, please visit: http://global.verifone.com/company/careers/
Role reference number: EVG-12121