Costain’s purpose is to improve people’s lives through technology-based engineering solutions, to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation, we have been undertaking this vital work since 1865.
We work on large projects which currently include; Crossrail, Thames Tideway Tunnel, High Speed Rail and A14 improvement scheme, with main offices in Maidenhead, Birmingham and Manchester this is your opportunity to join a company that makes a difference through the innovative work they do and help influence, shape and deliver solutions.
You can read more about the company and our current work on our website: https://www.costain.com/
- Develop an understanding of civil engineering skills, terminology and methodology
- Understand safe working practices, Health and Safety and Construction, design & management (CDM) regulations within the work environment
- Looking at project life cycle of design, construction and maintenance
- Working closely with other teams to meet client requirements
- Working towards your formal qualification
- Keeping a work diary outlining your training progress throughout your apprenticeship
You’re good at:
- Communicating clearly, both written and verbally
- Problem solving
- Getting it right the first time, with good attention to detail
- Works well within a team, but equally on your own
- Using a computer and Microsoft software
This role might be for you if you’re: Enthusiastic to learn and progress a career developing design solutions for complex civil engineering problems, while using the latest technologies.
What will the programme involve?
- A recognised qualification: Level Civil Engineering Technician (36 months + End Point Assessment)
- Day or block release at College working towards your qualification
- A mentor to support you through your EngTech
- Attendance on apprentice development programme
- On-going support and reviews on your progress
- 6 monthly pay increases based on performance and attendance
- Options to attend career events and promote the business
- Training in line with your qualification, to help personal development
- The opportunity to progress onto a further apprenticeship / chartership
What are the benefits?
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- A range of company initiatives (to opt in to) including; Bupa, Cycle to work scheme, Health Assessments, Free eye test
- Employer Assistance Programme - 24/7 support service
- Employer pension scheme (with up to 10% matched contribution)
Where can this career take me?
On completing your apprenticeship, you may have the option to progress onto a further qualification or training to aid your development. The skills you develop during your apprenticeship will aid you moving into an engineering technician role. Further career opportunities may lead to project engineer, project manager, site agent, works manager or roles within leadership. The skills learnt during this apprenticeship are highly transferable.
We are recruiting for this position in the following locations: East Sussex
We will aim to place you as close as possible to your desired location on your first placement, but you may be expected to be flexible while undertaking your apprenticeship.
- A passionate individual looking to undertake an apprenticeship with an award-winning employer
- An organised individual that can work well to deadlines
- Someone who is creative with a keen interest in the latest technology
- Someone that enjoys challenges and problem solving in their day to day work
- Has the equivalent of 5 GCSEs, grades A*-C or 9-4 including Science and English, ideally with a Grade B or above in Maths
- All appropriate and equivalent, qualifications will be considered