brighterkind is a dynamic care home group that is delivering a new approach to care, putting residents’ happiness and health at the heart of our philosophy. Currently a standalone business within the Four Seasons Group, brighterkind has aspirations to develop independently into one of the leading care home providers in the UK.
This role presents a unique opportunity to join a caring, fun and forward thinking business which is currently in its early stages of development.
brighterkind operates in excess of 70 care homes throughout England, Scotland and the Channel Islands and employs more than 4,000 people. We are already the 5th largest provider in the UK with aspirations to develop further over the next three years.
brighterkind is focused on becoming the brand of choice within the care sector. Our aspiration is that in time brighterkind becomes a byword for unrivalled levels of personal and nursing care, offering outstanding recreation and activities, and delivering a high quality food and dining experience to all our residents. Put simply, our aim is to establish ourselves as the best known and most highly respected operator in the care sector.
We are investing heavily in our estate as part of a comprehensive re branding and refurbishment strategy. £25m has been earmarked to refurbish our homes and turn them into contemporary and comfortable places to live and work; £12m of this capital has already been invested. We are also investing heavily in professional development and have created a number of industry leading training programmes to help our managers and leaders to be the best that they can be.
We aspire to provide our employees with a truly rewarding opportunity to proactively shape the company culture and influence the development of the business. This really is an exciting time to join us. We offer a challenging and rewarding environment for proactive and innovative individuals to flourish and develop.
We are looking for professional, creative and energetic candidates to join our friendly and passionate team all working towards the same goals – to help those we care for, love every day!
At brighterkind it is our dining elements that makes us stand out from the crowd with freshly made, nutritionally balanced, seasonal food served to all of our residents each day. As a Chef you are responsible for the preparation and cooking of all daily meals for residents and staff and additionally providing catering for special occasions and events, such as birthday cakes. You will help with monitoring the quality and presentation of the food, and ensuring that it is all produced to the highest standard.
You will have a good knowledge of food hygiene and experience in a similar role and ideally hold a catering qualification.
Food Preparation and Handling
- Prepare and cook all daily meals for residents and staff, and provide catering for special occasions and events, such as birthday cakes;
- Ensure the quality and presentation of the food is to the highest standard and specification;
- To be responsible for the daily monitoring and recording of food and items required
Health and Safety
- Understand and encourage the principles of safe food handling to ensure all food preparation undertaken in the kitchen is to the highest standards of hygiene;
- Track and monitor temperature checks of refrigerators and freezers to ensure food is stored safely;
- Prepare and oversee the cleaning rota, to ensure the regular cleaning of all kitchen areas, equipment and appliances to meet the high standards of cleanliness necessary in food storage, preparation and service areas
- Understand your personal responsibilities and practice safe systems of work in relation to the Health and Safety at Work Act including a working knowledge of COSHH assessments;
- Practice safe systems of work across the range of tasks and in particular moving and handling of loads, by assessing risk and having due regard for personal safety of residents, visitors and staff;
- Take reasonable care of items of equipment used to carry out tasks, including general cleanliness and advising on any faults and the need for maintenance or replacement;
- Use and clean kitchen equipment and have the knowledge to observe the Food Safety (General Food Hygiene) Regulations 1995;
- To ensure all food is stored, handled and packed at the correct temperature and in accordance with Food Handling and Hygiene Regulations;
- To maintain records of temperatures and remedial action taken where necessary, reporting all issues to the Home Manager;
- Use machinery as shown and trained to ensure equipment is used safely and in accordance with legislation, and reporting of equipment issues to your line manager;
- To ensure that work areas are kept clean and that all waste is recorded and disposed of correctly.
- Act in a professional and courteous manner at all times towards residents and their visitors, respecting the dignity and individuality of each resident and ensure effective communication is maintained;
- Develop a welcoming culture within the home to encourage an engaged team working ethos, responding positively to colleagues and actioning all reasonable work instructions promptly.
An energetic, committed yet approachable team member, the person who fulfils this role will add real value with their obvious passion and commitment to both residents, families and staff alike, but will have the ability to multi-task in a high pressure environment with care and compassion. Your talent and ability will be a reflection of the brighterkind culture and values and will help showcase the best of our organisation.
If you possess these skills and the drive to succeed in this role we would love to hear from you. In return brighterkind provide a variety of competitive benefits including a generous holiday allowance, a bespoke development programme, child care vouchers and an employee discount scheme.
Their talent and ability will be a reflection of the brighterkind culture and values and will help showcase the best of our organisation.
To succeed you will be:
- A team player - brighterkind is a low ‘ego’ organisation;
- Strong communicator and influencer;
- Energetic and hard-working;
- Passionate about offering superior services and want to make a difference in everything that they do
- A sense of humour and positive outlook on life – Glass half full rather than half empty is key!
We offer unrivalled employee benefits as our staff are at the heart of our achievements and future vision. Rewarding commitment and long service are important to us and all employees are entitled to the following benefits and incentives.
- Competitive salaries and generous holiday allowance
- Ongoing personal development plan and career progression
- Team Meal Offering
- Free uniform
- High street discount vouchers
- NEST work place pension contributions
- Long service awards and vouchers
All successful applicants will be required to work on a rolling rota basis and therefore required to work a weeked where appropriate.
All offers of employment are subject to satisfactory references and a DBS check.
As you can imagine we receive very high volumes of applications for some of our roles.
Whilst we are not able to respond personally to each applicant, we appreciate the time you have taken to consider and apply for a new role with brighterkind.
If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, then on this occasion your application has not been successful.
Please keep checking our website for upcoming opportunities.