Chartered Building Surveyor
Capita Property and Infrastructure
Capita Property and Infrastructure is one of the UK's largest and most diverse multidisciplinary consultancies in the design, management and infrastructure sectors. We’re also a market leader in strategic public/private partnerships with local authorities.
We have over 4,000 staff at 60 UK & Ireland offices offering a vast range of professional and technical expertise across an unrivalled number of services. The enormous breadth and depth of our experience ensures that we are able to add value to any project, regardless of its size, complexity or sector.
Capita Property and Infrastructure is a wholly owned subsidiary of Capita Group Plc. Capita is quoted on the London Stock Exchange (CPI.L), and is a member of the FTSE250.
Local Public Services Division
Since 2001 Capita Property and Infrastructure’s strategic partnerships have been transforming and improving the delivery of Local Authority services across the UK.
We are currently involved in eight such partnerships, many of them offering a full range of multidisciplinary and technical professional services to the partnering councils as well as the broader private sector market, other Local Authorities, education, health and transport sectors.
Capita– LPS Asset Services – Blackburn
Capita also works with a full range of clients from both public & private sector won through either direct award, frameworks or competitive tender. The work can be a varied mix of professional surveying work (including condition surveys, party wall, dilapidations, access audits, Fire Risk Assessments, etc) & contract work (including repairs, refurbishments & new build schemes).
Capita Blackburn is a multi-disciplinary office which covers the design, construction, engineering and property markets providing a broad range of professional services, such as;
- Building Surveying Services
- Project & Cost Management
- Highways & Transportation
- Civil Engineering
- Building M&E Services
- Property Management (inc. rent reviews & valuations)
The Role and Responsibilities
This role is for a Chartered Building Surveyor and they will be responsible for service delivery to a wide range of clients in designing solutions for commercial, education, health, local authorities and other public sector clients. Ideally, we are looking for an experienced Chartered Building Surveyor who is looking to progress their career to the next level and who wishes to be part of our continued growth and expansion.
You will be based at our Blackburn office at Castleway House, 17 Preston New Road, Blackburn BB2 1AU. You may be asked to work from our other regional offices as required from time to time. There will be a requirement for overnight weekday stays due to site based work.
The successful candidate will be expected to;
- Develop detailed briefs in conjunction with the client & other colleagues
- Carry out site surveys (including measured surveys, condition surveys & defect analysis)
- Carry out design work and assist with preparing tender information
- Deal with administering building contracts
- Undertake all aspects of professional surveying work (including Condition Surveys, Specific Defect Analysis, PW work, Dilapidations, Access Audits, etc.)
- Undertake Fire Risk Assessments & Fire Compartmentation Surveys
- Liaise with clients, contractors & other consultants (internal and external)
- Assist with business development tasks, including developing fee proposals
- Assist with financial forecasting tasks
- Assist with mentoring and training the Graduate Building Surveyors within the team
- BSc in Building Surveying or equivalent
- 2+ years experience within a commercial, educational or health sector Building Surveying environment
- Chartered member of RICS, CIOB or similar
- Ability to establish a good working relationship with clients and colleagues
- Self motivated and able to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to prioritise and work to deadlines
- AutoCAD &/or REVIT skills
- Good written & verbal communication skills
- Full UK Driving Licence
- Ability to demonstrate flexible approach to work & willingness to travel as may be required.
- Team player
- Analytical and enquiring mind
- Experienceof working on a range of commercial buildings, including education, health or transportation projects
- Good understanding of the Building Regulations and their implication for design and surveying of buildings
- Use of NBS Specification Manager, NBS Contract Administrator, Excel, Word MS Project, AutoCAD or REVIT, Kycloud (or similar)
- Salary – Competitive, commensurate with skills & experience
- Car allowance
- Hours – 37.5 Hours per week (Monday to Friday), with flexible working available
- Money Purchase Scheme Pension (after qualifying period)
- Holidays – 23 days plus Bank Holidays, rising with length of service
- Professional subscription paid
- Internal CPD events
- Access to a range of Capita Group benefits
Reasons to Join Capita
Appropriate candidates should be attracted to the role at Capita for some or all of the following reasons: -
- The business is a major player in the property and infrastructure consultancy markets, capable of challenging the ‘status quo’ and delivering outstanding client facing results.
- There are strong career opportunities in the Northern region and across Capita Group nationwide, with a strategy of secondment and resource sharing to enable maximum opportunity for individuals.
- The culture is one of promotion according to talent and impact, not time served in the business. Ambition is expected and rewarded.
- The company invests heavily in its people, recognising that its staff members are its most valuable asset. Individual training plans and accelerated schemes foster an environment of continual personal development.
- You would be joining a well established and respected Building Surveying team with a strong client base across the Northern region
- You will have the opportunity to work on a varied and exciting range of projects both locally and nationally from a broad spectrum of sectors.