What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
The Category Manager – Professional Services is part of the Category Management team within the Supply Chain Management organisation and reports to the Principal Category Manager for the same category group.
AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours. A salary sacrifice scheme is also available.
Location – Reading area
Alongside strategic sourcing activities like competitive bidding and contract negotiation as well as supplier relationship management activities, the Category Manager will be responsible for working collaboratively with stakeholders to develop and implement category strategies to solve business problems and working innovatively with the suppliers to achieve mutually beneficial relationships, whilst mitigating risk.
This Category Manager role will focus on Professional Services spend including external workforce, business travel, medical services, HR services and marketing, previous experience with these categories, and especially external workforce, is required.
This is an exciting time to join the AWE Supply Chain Management, as the function is rolling out an ambitious and challenging transformation programme. The Category Manager together with the Principal Category Manager will play an important role in the transformation.
Specific duties of the Category Manager include:
- Develop, implement and execute Category Strategies for assigned categories, balancing short and long-term objectives to meet business strategy and efficiencies in alignment with business stakeholders, leveraging market dynamics and mitigating risk
- Work with various level stakeholders to understand their requirements and support Facility Infrastructure development
- Execute the end to end strategic sourcing process for assigned categories, to deliver business requirements and to secure resilience in the supply chain
- Execute Supplier Relationship Management for key suppliers who have a significant impact on AWE business, with the objective of managing risk, managing performance and extracting more value from the supplier base
Category Manager applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Experience of developing and delivering procurement category management strategies
- Sourcing, supplier selection and negotiation experience
- The ability to support change and transformation
- The ability to foster excellent relationships with stakeholders
- Can demonstrate innovative working with suppliers
- Relevant category experience
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role at AWE.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country’s nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and people with disabilities.