In fast changing markets, customers worldwide rely on Thales. Thales is a business where brilliant people from all over the world come together to share ideas and inspire each other. In aerospace, transportation, defence, security and space, our architects design innovative solutions that make our tomorrow's possible.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Thales UK Procurement function has 39 categories across five business units. A superb opportunity to join our Category Management team has arisen. The Category Buyer may support one procurement category or several procurement categories depending on the size of the Category.
The role will be to manage end to end performance of the acquisition process via the management of the RFI &/or RFP's until the Pvet 4 stage for critical work packages. The successful candidate will be expected to lead major / business critical supplier selection exercises to support business needs.
The CB ensures the deployment, implementation and monitoring of agreed category strategies.
The Category Buyer will be responsible for supplier relationship management and continuous improvement of suppliers within their category (with the support of Supplier Performance Management Team if needed) and the management of suppliers performance including, but not limited to, quality, cost, delivery, contractual performance and innovation.
We are looking for the individual to be accountable for ensuring the most up-to-date knowledge of their supplier market, including new innovations and key emerging technologies relevant to their category. You will be responsible for end to end performance of the acquisition process via the management of the RFI &/or RFP's.
You will be expected to lead major / business critical supplier selection exercises to support business needs. As well as the deployment, implementation and monitoring of agreed category strategies.
An essential element of his role is to ensure that the suppliers provide the competitiveness required to support the business and to introduce optimal supply base changes to support business winning capability.
Skills and Experience
- Strong involvement in defining/ updating the strategy with the Group Category Manager
- Strong implementation of the strategy on an operational basis.
- Has ability to use the "Thales tool box" in order to lead the category and manage the suppliers.
- Strong contractual knowledge especially of framework agreements, Liability & insurance.
- Ability to lead complex negotiation including import / export considerations
- Understanding ofthe market for the category under his control but also ability to understand the customer’s stakes, needs and program issues
- Mastering economic models for the category so that increased value can be added to Thales and the supply base.
- Proven ability to challenge and develop innovative supply chain / procurement analysis (CCO, should cost)that adds value to the business and end customers.
- Ability to manage complex sub-contracts including risks & opportunities and ability to identify Purchasing levers .
- Good knowledge of the best practice acquisition Process.
- Experience of working with high volume electrical suppliers will be an advantage
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!