Springdene Nursing and Care Homes Group
Care Assistant Job Description
Job Title: Care Assistant
Responsible to: Home Manager/Unit Manager
Main Job Objective:
To deliver timely and compassionate person centred care to residents. Toobserve, monitor and record progress of residents in accordance with care plans. To promote residents independence, choice and dignity, ensuring that their care needs are safely met.
1.1 To ensure that you always treat residents with respect and compassion at all times.
1.2 To welcome new residents to the home, ensure they are comfortable and support the allocated person in the care assessment process.
1.3 To participate in the management of continence care and to ensure that the correct practices for the disposal of continence materials are observed. Also the emptying and cleaning of commodes etc
1.4 To assist residents with the care of their aids, clothing property, rooms and effects. Ensure inventories of residents’ personal belongings are correct and up to date.
1.5 To record in the care plan, accurate, relevant information in a timely manner that shows the support the resident has received. This includes fluid charts, repositioning charts, food diaries, etc.
1.6 To act as a keyworker for particular residents, being familiar with the “Keyworker Policy.”
1.7 To observe and to report to the appropriate managers, information concerning the mental and physical welfare of residents. To receive and read reports of the same nature.
1.8 Accompany residents to medical appointments and ensure good communication with the home regarding medical treatment.
1.9 In the event of the death of a resident, carry out last offices with compassion and dignity whilst providing any appropriate support to relatives.
2 Ensuring the Service is Safe
2.1 To answer call bells promptly, ensuring that residents who are in their rooms are regularly visited to their safety and proper welfare at periods specified by residents and managers.
2.2 To be aware of the physical needs of residents and to assist or attend, as appropriate to their personal needs. This may include maintaining personal hygiene - through bathing, washing, toileting etc. To report to managers any cause of concern that may need particular attention, e.g. dental, chiropody, hairdressing etc.
2.3 To be involved with observing, monitoring, and recording progress of residents in accordance with care plans.
2.4 Follow the instructions of the home manager and/or the person-in-charge in relation to the care of residents identified as vulnerable, and reporting any concerns to the home manager or their deputy.
2.5 Take responsibility for questioning poor practice in the home, and take appropriate action if concerns relating to poor practice are reported to you.
2.6 Keep up to date with CQC requirements and inspection practices.
2.7 Keep up to date with changes to operational policies and procedures, and be aware of how this affects your role.
2.8 Work in accordance with all company policies and procedures
3 Ensuring the Service is Responsive
3.1 To help create an attractive and personal environment, where residents feel safe and have a sense of ownership. To consult with residents wherever possible in matters affecting their lives. To provide emotional support and friendship to residents when required.
3.2 To assess, encourage and support residents to maintain their independence in personal daily living activities for which they are individually capable.
3.3 To facilitate residents to openly express their views, opinions and grievances and to respond appropriately to them.
3.4 To assist and enable residents to prepare snacks and refreshments as required.
3.5 To prepare and serve food and drink for those residents who are unable to do so, including feeding them when necessary.
3.6 To encourage and enable residents to actively remain part of the community by fostering links with relatives, friends and local people, according to residents' wishes. To be involved in social activities e.g. outings, excursions, shopping etc.
4 Helping Ensure the Service is Well Led
4.1 Support managers and colleagues working as a team to deliver timely and compassionate care for residents.
4.2 Contribute to good communication and team work in the home, liaising with colleagues, sharing learning and information relating to quality care for residents.
4.3 Support the induction of new staff to the home.
4.4 Work effectively with all teams in the home (e.g. Activities, Kitchen, Housekeeping) working as a team with a resident-focused approach, assisting colleagues as requested.
4.5 Pass on necessary and appropriate information to colleagues to ensure continuity of care and that all planned care is safely delivered.
4.6 Promote good communication with residents’ relatives and friends as required.
4.7 To attend staff meetings, training, supervision and appraisals, to ensure continuous development of care practice.
General Corporate Responsibilities (For all staff)
- Contribute to Springdene’s Purpose and Vision, representing the company in a professional manner at all times.
- Demonstrate Springdene Core Competencies across your role:
- Focus on residents
- Co-operation and team work
- Standards of excellence
- Knowledge sharing
- All staff have a duty and obligation to raise concerns regarding possible ill-treatment of a resident.
- Maintain knowledge of the organisation’s responsibilities under the CQC regulations, including residents’ rights and accreditation requirements.
- Work in compliance with Springdene Policies & Procedures, including Safeguarding, Health and Safety, Confidentiality and Data Protection.
- Maintain own knowledge on current developments and trends in residential care for the elderly.
You must be prepared, on occasions, to undertake additional tasks, unspecified in this job description, at the Manager's request. You must also be prepared if requested (on rare occasions) to work within another unit in the group.
You are expected to attend any meetings as requested by the manager and are required to familiarise yourself with the operations policy, particularly equal opportunities and disciplinary issues.
Care Assistant – Person Specification
The person specification sets out the minimum requirements to do the job. It is used in recruitment to test during the interview process, to ensure that candidates have all the skills listed on the person specification prior to appointment, and also to identify areas for development during induction or employment.
Qualifications and Training
- NVQ Level 2 in Health and Social Care
- Mandatory training up to date or willing to undertake refresher training e.g. Fire, Health and Safety, Manual Handling, Medication
Previous Work Experience
- Experience working in a residential home or hospital (at least 1 year desirable)
- Experience of providing personal care including washing, dressing, toileting, feeding, and mobilising clients.
Knowledge and Understanding
- Able to give examples of providing timely, compassionate, person-centred care.
- Awareness of the role of CQC in residential care.
- Awareness of how Health and Safety, Safeguarding, Confidentiality and Data Protection apply in the Care Assistant role.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work under pressure including dealing with multiple demands.
- Good verbal communication skills, with the ability to demonstrate kindness and compassion to residents and families.
- Ability to work as part of a team, building good relationships, listening to and supporting colleagues.
- Ability to read and write clearly in English.
- Basic numeracy skills, with ability to accurately record details in care plans and charts.
- Hardworking and conscientious, with ability to organise time to complete allocated tasks.
- Able to demonstrate a person-centred approach to care
- Understanding and empathy of the issues facing elderly people who have to move to residential care
- Commitment to equality and diversity
- Commitment to learning and improving practice.
Excellent training and career progression opportunities, annual salary increases, additional annual leave for long service, company sick pay, employee discount scheme, employee assistance programme