Boots is the UKs leading pharmacy-led health and beauty retailer. With over 2500 stores in the UK our purpose is to help our customers look and feel better than they ever thought possible. Boots UK is part of the Retail Pharmacy International Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance - the first global pharmacy-led health and wellbeing enterprise.
Overview of the role:
You would be part of a great team, supporting Boots mission to offer market leading and accessible healthcare advice, services and products, which complement the NHS.
Your role is Buying Manager, managing four OTC Winter Medicines categories (cough cold, mouthcare, gastro and eyecare), working alongside one other Buying Manager as part of the wider OTC team.
Your role will be challenging and dynamic as you manage four categories with different customer and market dynamics, under the umbrella of our future healthcare and wellness strategy. You will work with a mixed portfolio of suppliers, from some of the biggest global pharma and healthcare suppliers, as well as with our own brand teams internally. Developing joint business plans and building strong relationships across the supplier base with diverse negotiation skills will be essential to delivering your role.
Alongside this you will be responsible for leading and developing a team of four (two Assistant Buyers and two Buying Assistants), whilst developing and delivering operational plans to hit performance targets, managing your P&L for the categories and pulling on levers such as products, merchandising, pricing and promotions.
You will also work cross functionally on joint strategic initiatives with pharmacy services, our Boots Opticians business and with marketing to drive greater awareness of our product offer and services so we show up to customers as one integrated healthcare offer.
With over 10,000 pharmacists and pharmacy advisors, building close relationships with shops will be key to understanding the challenges our colleagues and customers face in conjunction with changes to the NHS and broader healthcare landscape in the UK.
Alongside the Senior Buying Manager and Buying Manager, you will also lead the delivery of our strategic initiatives over the next three years, enabling and driving growth for our healthcare business with key focusses on driving awareness of the products and solutions we have to enable customers to self-care and also ensure we respond to future change in the NHS.
* Have a passion for the industry, working with suppliers, developing brands and products and the ability to lead and inspire a team through an extremely competitive trading market.
* Providing direction on annual plan and people management /development in supporting the team in achieving business objectives.
* Management of Winter Medicines category, leading the delivery of sales and profit targets
* Accountable for the development and delivery of the product area plans through analysis of market trends, customers, competitors and internal financial performance to feed into the category decisions
* Accountable for process compliance and accuracy of process across key commercial processes (e.g. Finance, Merchandising, Supply and Marketing)
* Support team negotiations with suppliers and agree JBPs to secure the best deals and outcomes for sustainable business growth
* Strong people leadership skills, management of 2 assistant buyers and 2 buying assistants
* Responsible for the delivery of the category strategy and performance each month.
* Working closely and negotiating with suppliers on new products and annual plans
* Knowledge and ability to secure and launch new content in store
* Cross functional working with product development and technical teams, merchandising, supply chain, finance, marketing and store teams
Our Ideal Candidate:
Everything that our Buyers do has a direct impact on what our customers experience in store and online. With that in mind, the following experience and skills are critical:
* Previous commercial experience as a Buyer
* Pursue opportunities with passion with a right first time mentality
* Passion for product development
* Accurate budgeting, forecasting and financial analysis
* Analytical thinker and strong numeracy skills
* Good impact and influencing skills
* Broad commercial acumen with entrepreneurial spirit
* Ability to build and own effective relationships, challenging where appropriate in order to deliver results
* Ability to work cross functionally and with suppliers to deliver results
* Holds self and others to account
* Is agile and able to reactive to an ever changing market
* Broad negotiating skills
What's in it for you?
You will work in a high pressured, fast paced, exciting environment in one of the fastest changing markets in the UK. If you are self-motivated and passionate about products and brands and you want to learn to adapt to an ever changing market we would love to hear from you. Boots is passionate about developing our people and setting individuals up for a successful, long standing career.
* 25 days annual leave, plus statutory bank holidays (typically 8 per year)
* Annual discretionary bonus plan
* Generous staff discount scheme
* Additional discount with Boots Opticians, including on frames and contact lenses
* Competitive company pension scheme (both AHBRSP and auto-enrolment schemes available)
* Flexible benefits scheme available ranging from private medical insurance, holiday buying, gym membership, cycle to work scheme and many more
* Various corporate discounts available
* Part-subsidised on-site parking (part of the Nottingham City Council 'Workplace Parking Levy')
* Onsite Staff Shop, Opticians, Gym, Costa, Canteen, Dry Cleaning and Cash Point
* Employee Assistance Programme - a free, independent, confidential support and counselling service; 24 hours a day, seven days a week
* Boots Benevolent Fund - a registered charity that can offer support to eligible current and former colleagues in the UK, as well as their immediate relatives and dependants, at times of financial hardship