Business Development Manager
(or Business Development Assistant)
Auvation is a long-established, small software engineering company that has traditionally had a diversebase of leading high-technology customers. In recent years it has primarily been engaged in the development of high-integrity software for commercial airliners but the intent is to continue to attract business from the general, higher technology, software market.
The company employs talented individuals, with many being graduates of Oxford and Cambridge universities and most possessing PhDs.
The company has a mission to attract new customers and has a particular focus on those that participate in advanced R&D which includes a considerable software component. Many such companies can be found in the Cambridge area, which is a particular focus. However, other areas of interest include South Wales, Bristol, the M4 corridor and London. Furthermore, with respect to aviation, Montreal has also been identified as an area of interest.
The company wishes to appoint either a Business Development Manageror alternatively an inexperienced assistant who will develop into that role. As the services offered by Auvation are highly specialised the BDM will need to work closely with the Managing Director and Technical Director to ensure that the correct messages about the services and capabilities are conveyed to the right people. Traditionally the MD has done this job alone as part of his overall tasks but now the company needs to ‘step up a gear’. The role typically includes the following tasks, although this is far from an extensive list:
- Primarily using the web and various tools, researching potential companies that have a demand for the kind of services that Auvation offers, and identifying the most appropriate individuals with whom to contact, and finding their contact details.
- Formulating a strategy for best making contacts, e.g. email, social media, cold calling, events etc.
- Design of marketing aides such as brochures and websites, and social media messages.
- Executing the strategy and making a first good impression of Auvation to potential customers.
- Assisting the MD, and accompanying him, to meet with potential customers.
- Following through as required following initial meetings, for example in support of the Technical Director in more detailed pre-sales meetings.
- Assisting the MD in responding to requests for quotations, invitations to tender etc.
The role will therefore involve some travel but this will probably be less than 25% of total time.
Exceptionally the role could be part-time but this will impose certain difficulties.
The role is not suited to home-working as it is vital that, over time, awareness is built up of the experience and capabilities of the software engineers employed such that the MD’s personal involvement is minimized. That is, over time, the BDM is expected to portray the all-important nuances of the capabilities of Auvation to potential customers. These nuances are Auvation’s USPs. The BDM can only acquire this expertise through continual exposure to the team.
Auvation is open to candidates with a wide variety of backgrounds and it wishes not to be prescriptive about candidate’s attributes. The following, however, are essential requirements:
- A good university degree.
- A confident telephone manner.
- The ability to quickly and naturally articulate complex messages through social media, email and through formal documents such as sales proposals.
- Flexibility to attend meetings in the UK with reasonable notice, including possible international travel and very occasionally overnight stays of a few days.
Although the following are desirable, they are not essential:
- An awareness of software technologies, languages and tools.
- A general interest in technology and awareness of trends.
The appointee could range, for example, from a highly experiencedBDM with a PhD in computer science, through to a recent history graduateas a Business Development Assistant.
The appointee will receive a fixed salary. There will be no performance-related elements in the salary. The company currently offers 25 days paid annual leave and private medical insurance.