As one of the UK firm's largest regional teams, KPMG's Reading office employs more than 400 professionals who work with companies across the Thames Valley. Our office is located conveniently just off junction 12 of the M4 and a short walk from Theale train station.
The office is moving into a larger, brand new building (Forbury Place) in the centre of Reading later this year.
KPMG Reading has a strong reputation for supporting Thames Valley’s thriving information technology and communications businesses. We also have a large pensions advisory capability and one of the largest expatriate advisory practices outside London.
By combining deep sector knowledge with innovative technology, we bring fresh thinking and practical approaches. Our specialist teams in audit, tax and advisory work together to help our clients achieve their goals, including growth strategy, people strategy, cyber security, digital transformation and technology solutions.
The audit practice is made up of approximately 130 staff, led by 4 Partners and working in conjunction with other services, including Corporate Finance, Transaction Services, Pensions, Restructuring, Corporate and Indirect taxation. The team in Reading provide audit services across a range of sectors and has a diverse client base ranging from smaller owner managed businesses and private equity backed organisations through to FTSE and AIM listed businesses. The office services clients covering a wide geographical area from Oxford in the North, London in the East, Swindon in the West and Basingstoke in the South.
Many clients have locations around the UK and overseas, so there are opportunities for people to travel and potentially work overseas. Key audit clients include a well-established Veterinary practice, an American multinational food, snack and beverage corporation, a computer solutions business, and a Japanese multinational electronics corporation. Notably, the team have also been successful in winning a number of FTSE listed businesses in recent years, including a payment processing company and a leading spirits manufacturer.
Manage and deliver audit engagements from planning through to completion. The role will require proficiency in IFRS and UK GAAP. You will have your own portfolio of clients with responsibility for agreeing audit timetables, briefing the audit team, including other specialists, monitoring budgets and supervising the KPMG audit process. This will include:
· To manage engagements, overseeing in-charge and audit assistants work ensuring compliance with client, statutory and KPMG requirements, appreciating relevant internal and external market factors, ensuring the effective and timely delivery of engagements
· Oversee and direct the budgeting, planning, co-ordination and control of engagements in accordance with client, statutory, KPMG and business requirements to ensure effective service delivery and maximised recoverability
· Direct, coach and mentor between 4 and 8 audit staff in a performance manager role taking responsibility for overseeing their portfolio, business and personal issues and delivering feedback throughout the year
· Nurture and seek worthwhile relationships with clients, business departments and staff, for the sharing of information and to identify and progress current and future Audit requirements
· Contributes towards the creation, implementation and delivery of the Audit Business Plan and offer support in relation to issues identified as a result of organisational or client focus change
· Assist the Director and Senior Manager (where applicable) in monitoring the effectiveness of Audit services delivered, providing feedback and reflection on the quality of service accordingly
· Preparation of reports to senior management and Audit Committees
There will be opportunity and encouragement for additional responsibilities outside this day to day role, such as working on tenders for potential new clients and assisting with training courses for in-charges and audit assistants.
· Knowledge and experience of auditing and experience of systems/controls testing as well as substantive auditing - you will be able to deepen your understanding of consolidations, group audit and review of statutory accounts and disclosures
· Well-developed supervisory skills e.g. coaching and motivation
· Project management techniques; this role will test and develop your expertise in decision-making, analytical skills, time management, organisation and evaluative skills
· Well-developed understanding of the wider commercial background KPMG operates in demonstrating awareness of the issues facing our clients on a day to day basis
Qualifications and Skills
- Qualified Accountant - ACA, ACCA or country equivalent
- Proven research skills e.g. information seeking and knowledge sharing, understanding and interpreting information/applying knowledge
- Drive and resilience and ability to thrive in a pressured environment whilst working as a team with support from Directors, Managers (where applicable) and in-charges Leadership skills and ability to act as a role model
- Sound working knowledge of IFRS and UK GAAP
- Recent and significant experience as a Senior Manager in an audit capacity within a top 10 accountancy firm
- Current experience of accounting and financial reporting standards including IFRS and UK standards
- Significant audit experience for large, mixed sector corporate clients