|Job Title||Audit Manager - National Markets, Watford|
|Service Line Information||At KPMG, our vision is to be the clear choice on the future of Audit. In today’s complex and ever-changing business world, we recognise that we need to be one step ahead for our clients - rather than reacting to emerging trends we need to anticipate them by harnessing technology. Our people are integral to this, bringing their natural curiosity, diversity of ideas and perspectives to help deliver client excellence.|
|KPMG Overview||KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.|
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
|Job Description||Overview |
KPMG is one of the leading audit practices in the UK whose success and reputation depends upon the quality and integrity of our services - and our people. If you join our audit team, you could benefit from increased amounts of training and education to keep you up to speed with current changes in audit regulation and accounting and auditing standards.
Home Counties KPMG Audit department is split between Milton Keynes and Watford offices and provides primarily corporate audit services with some audits in the financial services, pensions and public sectors. The department is led by five Partners and five Directors and is supported by other services including Corporate Tax, Indirect Tax, Corporate Finance, Transaction Services, Pensions and Restructuring. There are around 80 people in the audit department. There has been significant success over the last four years and we are now looking to further grow the team. If you are a highly motivated newly qualified accountant with experience of leading audit teams on clients on a range of both IFRS and UK GAAP, then we’d like to hear from you. US GAAP and SOX experience would be preferential but not essential.
Both of our offices are modern have been recently refurbished and are close to their respective train stations with the train to London Euston taking at most 30 minutes from both offices. Watford office is a large office with a number of our central services departments located there. Both offices have canteen facilities.
We are looking for a qualified accountant to join the audit practice in our Watford office. As a Manager you will get to work with a wide range of clients within a cross functional office. Our client base is from a wide range of business sectors, ranging in size from owner-managed businesses to multi-national organisations. Many of our clients are subsidiaries of overseas companies giving our work a truly international perspective.
Manage and deliver audit engagements from planning through to completion. The role will require proficiency in IFRS and UK GAAP. You will have your own portfolio of clients with responsibility for agreeing audit timetables, briefing the audit team, including other specialists, monitoring budgets and supervising the KPMG audit process. This will include:
- To manage engagements, overseeing in-charge and audit assistants work ensuring compliance with client, statutory and KPMG requirements, appreciating relevant internal and external market factors, ensuring the effective and timely delivery of engagements
- Oversee and direct the budgeting, planning, co-ordination and control of engagements in accordance with client, statutory, KPMG and business requirements to ensure effective service delivery and maximised recoverability
- Direct, coach and mentor between 4 and 8 audit staff in a performance manager role taking responsibility for overseeing their portfolio, business and personal issues and delivering feedback throughout the year
- Nurture and seek worthwhile relationships with clients, business departments and staff, for the sharing of information and to identify and progress current and future Audit requirements
- Contributes towards the creation, implementation and delivery of the Audit Business Plan and offer support in relation to issues identified as a result of organisational or client focus change
- Assist the Director and Senior Manager (where applicable) in monitoring the effectiveness of Audit services delivered, providing feedback and reflection on the quality of service accordingly
- Preparation of reports to senior management and Audit Committees
There will be opportunity and encouragement for additional responsibilities outside this day to day role, such as working on tenders for potential new clients and assisting with training courses for in-charges and audit assistants.
- Leadership skills and ability to act as a role model
- Drive and resilience and ability to thrive in a pressured environment whilst working as a team with support from Directors, Senior Managers (where applicable) and in-charges
- Knowledge and experience of auditing and experience of systems/controls testing as well as substantive auditing - you will be able to deepen your understanding of consolidations, group audit and review of statutory accounts and disclosures
- Well-developed supervisory skills e.g. coaching and motivation
- Project management techniques; this role will test and develop your expertise in decision-making, analytical skills, time management, organisation and evaluative skills
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills, both verbal and written
- Proven research skills e.g. information seeking and knowledge sharing, understanding and interpreting information/applying knowledge
- Well-developed understanding of the wider commercial background KPMG operates in demonstrating awareness of the issues facing our clients on a day to day basis
Qualifications and Skills
- Leadership skills and ability to act as a role model - Drive and resilience and ability to thrive in a pressured environment whilst working as a team with support from Directors, Senior Managers (where applicable) and in-charges - Knowledge and experience of auditing and experience of systems/controls testing as well as substantive auditing - you will be able to deepen your understanding of consolidations, group audit and review of statutory accounts and disclosures - Well-developed supervisory skills e.g. coaching and motivation - Project management techniques; this role will test and develop your expertise in decision-making, analytical skills, time management, organisation and evaluative skills - Strong communication and inter-personal skills, both verbal and written - Proven research skills e.g. information seeking and knowledge sharing, understanding and interpreting information/applying knowledge - Well-developed understanding of the wider commercial background KPMG operates in demonstrating awareness of the issues facing our clients on a day to day basis - Time and exam Qualified Accountant - ACA, ACCA or country equivalent - Sound working knowledge of IFRS - IT literacy with sound knowledge and experience of Excel/Word - Recent and significant experience as a Manager in an external audit capacity within a top 10 accountancy firm - Significant audit experience for large, mixed sector corporate clients
|Our Deal||If the chance to work with interesting clients and innovative technology wasn’t rewarding enough, we’ll motivate you in other ways too. At KPMG you can expect real responsibilities and opportunities to grow professionally. |
‘Our Deal’ sets out all the different ways you’ll be rewarded at KPMG. Among other things you can benefit from honest conversations about your career as well as a range of other rewards. In all these ways and more, we have created an environment that can bring out the best in you.
|Flexible Working||While some of our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, we are supportive where possible of helping you to achieve a balance between your home and work demands. |
We are happy to discuss individual requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements could be of interest. Furthermore, as part of the recruitment process, we can put you in touch with people who work flexibly so you can understand from them what our culture is like.
|Applying with a Disability||KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of the Business Disability Forum we're committed to ensuring that you are treated fairly throughout our Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss any reasonable adjustments that you may require, with your recruitment contact.|
KPMG's commitment to diversity
We are proud of the value we place on individuality; we want you to bring your full self to work and truly maximise your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results for our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG.
Returning to work after a break
At KPMG, we appreciate that returning to work after an extended career break can be daunting. We understand that those with experience who have taken a career break have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer our organisation, which helps us to achieve our business goals. We will support you to refresh your skills, develop your confidence and provide a supportive network across the firm to help you best integrate into the working environment. This role welcomes applications for individuals who have been out of work for 18 months or more and who have previous relevant experience.
Policy for Agencies
KPMG has a commitment to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies. Please check here to see our policy on agencies: Policy