Associate/Senior Associate, Tax
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
We are looking to hire an experienced tax lawyer to join our London tax department.
The department forms part of the firm’s Strategic Advisory Division and advises on a wide range of general corporate and commercial tax matters, both domestic and cross-border.
Reflecting the firm’s key practice strengths and diverse client base, our work has a particular focus on:
- Real estate, acting for developers, financiers and investors;
- Funds, acting for investors, sponsors and management teams across all asset classes;
- Corporate, from listed company work to private equity;
- Infrastructure and oil and gas; and
- Financial transactions, including derivatives, structured products, note programmes, all types of loan transactions and restructurings.
A substantial part of our business involves supporting and working with other practice areas across the firm but an increasing proportion is standalone advisory work, including contentious and tax litigation matters.
We form part of the firm’s international tax practice with expertise in the US, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain and Australia.
We pride ourselves on having a wide and general tax practice and on being adaptable, pragmatic and constructive.
Some key clients include Oxford Properties, Berkeley Homes, Westfield, Interserve, Inflexion, ICG, Barclays, JP Morgan, Tritax.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and enthusiastic tax lawyer to join a collegiate and growing team offering high quality tax work across a broad range of practice areas and excellent career development and responsibility.
Essential skills and experience:
- Mid level lawyer with experience in an international law firm
- Excellent technical and analytical skills across contractual drafting, due diligence and providing regulatory and strategic advice
- A desire to build on client relationships and develop own client network
- Manage projects and transactions, and liaise closely with colleagues, clients, counterparties and other advisers
- Demonstrate an enthusiasm for business development and strong interpersonal skills
- Dedicated to understanding clients' needs and delivering a first class service
- Understanding the industries and the commercial challenges and opportunities in which our clients operate
- Enthusiasm for the subject area and proactive, organised, and enjoys working in a team
- Advising corporate and commercial clients on tax matters in a domestic and international context
- Advising on some or all of the following: fund structures and terms, real estate, private equity, management and executive incentive plans, oil and gas, infrastructure, financing transactions (including derivatives and structured products), contentious tax matters
- Drafting structure papers
An established Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.