Mishcon de Reya is an independent law firm, which now employs more than 900 people with over 550 lawyers offering a wide range of legal services to companies and individuals.
Based in London with offices in New York, the firm services an international community of clients and provides advice in situations where the constraints of geography often do not apply. The work it undertakes is cross-border, multi-jurisdictional and complex, spanning six core practice areas: Corporate; Dispute Resolution; Employment; Intellectual Property; Private; and Real Estate.
Mishcon de Reya has grown rapidly in recent years, showing more than 80% revenue growth in the past five years alone. In 2015, the firm moved into a purpose designed building on Kingsway, and has converted to both an alternative business structure and LLP.
Mishcon de Reya prides itself on the diverse range of people who make up the firm. The central role played by the Academy, the firm’s in-house place of learning, development and new thinking, and its active and innovative social impact strategy are reflected in its Investors in People Platinum standard.
The Litigation Department
Mishcon de Reya LLP has one of the largest and most comprehensive Dispute Resolution offerings in London; over half of the Firm's lawyers are litigators. From a core of Fraud litigators we have built a team that covers most major areas of the Dispute Resolution world including: Business Crime, Tax, Competition and Anti-Trust, International Arbitration, Intellectual Property and Fraud Defence. Each dispute requires a bespoke solution, sometimes aggressive, sometimes measured. We fight our client’s corner: we take ownership of our client's dispute so that we can resolve it as effectively as possible. We fiercely guard our clients' interests.
The Fraud Defence Group
Our Fraud Defence Group is uniquely experienced in acting for both defendants and claimants. This means that we understand the steps that a claimant may take against a defendant, and use these to anticipate and undermine the potential points of attack that our clients may face.
We are accustomed to working in "pressure cooker" situations, and have vast experience of assisting clients who face the parallel attack of a civil claim and criminal regulatory investigation, both in the UK and abroad. Many of our cases involve overseas prosecutors and regulators, particularly in the US, Switzerland, Russia, Italy, Hungary and Germany.
As strategic and tactical lawyers, we look at ways to resolve cases before trial. But where litigation is unavoidable, we act assertively and with commercial nous. Our team has a wealth of experience in executing and defending search orders, especially at short notice.
The Group's delivery and success is complemented by its close relationship with other groups in the Firm, including Business Crime, Regulatory, Internal Investigations, Finance & Banking, Insurance, Insolvency, Reputation Protection, Immigration, Family, Real Estate and Employment. We have also formed a specialist Criminal Law Panel to provide high quality criminal law advice to clients on sensitive issues.
Our team represents those requiring advice in relation to:
• Commercial litigation
• Fraud claims, breach of trust and breach of fiduciary duty
• Civil injunctions, including freezing orders, search orders and disclosure orders
• Disciplinary investigation/sanctions by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority
• Investigations by professional regulators and government bodies
• Money laundering compliance issues
• Restraint and confiscation proceedings
• HMRC investigations
• Requests for disclosure by prosecution authorities in the UK and abroad
There is a high level of responsibility from the outset, working as part of the Fraud Defence team, whilst being responsible for carrying and managing a diverse and busy caseload. You will work with and support a number of High Court fraud cases acting for both claimants and defendants and other fraud-related work, in particular financial fraud, investigation advice and fraud awareness and training. Experience of injunctions, asset freezing and other relevant orders (from both a claimant and defendant perspective) is preferred, while some regulatory and/or white-collar crime experience might be useful.
Candidates will be confident in managing client relationships, workloads and priorities. We are looking for proactive applicants who are ambitious and have lots of drive and enthusiasm. Candidates should be commercial, creative legal thinkers wanting to develop a business, who are able to approach matters both from a legal as well as a commercial perspective. Sound commercial acumen is therefore a necessity, as well as the ability to 'think on your feet'.
Specific responsibilities include:
• To manage all client work allocated by the Partners and other fee earners within the Group and sometimes across the wider Department
• To ensure that all client work is progressed in a timely fashion and that the client is kept regularly informed on progress and costs
• At all times to exercise high standards of client care in a professional and pleasant manner
• To demonstrate excellent written and interpersonal skills in order to meet the drafting and presentation aspects of the role
• To ensure the confidentiality and security of all of the Firm’s client documentation and information
• To demonstrate excellent organisational and prioritising skills to meet the demands of challenging and commercial internal and external clients
• To demonstrate a willingness to support clients out of hours and on weekends (on occasion), providing urgent round-the-clock advice
• To achieve agreed levels of billing and time recording
• To maintain clear communication links with colleagues in the Firm
• To ensure good working relationships with colleagues, clients and external organisations
• To take responsibility for and attend to self-development
• To be active in promoting the services of the Firm, in liaison with the Head of the Fraud Defence Group and other Partners
• To take a keen interest in undertaking business development activities both internally and externally
• Excellent attention to detail
• Excellent organisational skills
• Ability to effectively manage own workload
• Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Personable and confident, able to build relationships with partners/ key stakeholders
• Resilient and calm under pressure
• Adaptable and flexible approach
• Pro-active and takes initiative
Please note that this job profile is not an exhaustive list of duties but merely an outline of the key components of the role. You may be required by your line manager to take on additional responsibilities when requested.
Diversity & Inclusion lie at the heart of our core values. At Mishcon de Reya, our aim is to promote and foster a culture which embraces diversity, respect for the individual and the expression of talent, to empower individuals to fulfil their, and the firm’s, potential. In order to support this, we recognise the importance of flexible and agile working and are open to having conversations on how this could work for you and our business.