Role: Associate Interior Designer(Europe) – Build to Rent
Reporting to: Senior Director of Development - London
Location: London office
At Cortland, you map the story of your success. We don't adhere to the status quo, we love outside industry perspective, and we thrive on exploring possibilities and reimagining solutions. As an innovative leader in Build to Rent (BTR) in the USA, our high performance continues to drive exponential growth – and we invite you to join us on our journey towards real estate excellence. With tools and guidance to sharpen your skills, you can forge your own career path, love what you do, and let it show.
Cortland wish to develop 10,000 BTR units in the UK over the next 5-7 years commencing with our first 486-unit BTR residential development in Watford which has started construction and the second, a 300-unit scheme in Woking.
As an Associate Interior Designer, you will report to the head of Europe’s Investments team. This position will support and work with all levels of Associates throughout Cortland ensuring their needs are met to support the investors, banks, associates and partners. The focus will be on the Cortland Europe business and based in London.
As AssociateInterior Designer / Associate Interior Architect (Europe) you will be responsible for designing and overseeing the delivery of best-in-class internal spaces, finishes, furnishings and amenities for our growing pipeline of Cortland communities across Europe.
In addition, there will be the opportunity to work with LIV Consult and oversee the Interior Design process for their external 3rd Party clients, which will include participating in the business development and procuring Interior Design commissions.
- Balance your sharp eye for detail with your creative ability to see possibilities where other people can’t — often thinking way outside the box
- Working with the wider UK team as well as collaborating with the US design team to determine design direction for new spaces — envisioning designs that any apartment resident would relish
- Oversee the specifics when it comes to producing one-of-a-kind interior finishes, including carpets, furnishings, fabrics, wall coverings, draperies, artwork, and other ornamental accessories while maintaining budgetary control
- Stay current on the latest interior design products and constantly scan the market for vendors of never-before-seen goods
- Support the UK team with developing the design specification for ourclients buildings and Cortland in Europe
- Develop cutting-edge architectural branding concepts for all decorative elements, including furniture, materials, lighting, and accessories
- Identify strategies for reducing costs, improving production capabilities, and enhancing vendor compliance
- Have an understanding of Lifecycle of products and work with the European Team to develop an exemplar design with the most efficient whole life cost.
- Love solving puzzles and get a thrill out of seeing your projects come together, piece by piece from concept to completion.
- Work alongside highly creative minds while staying grounded enough to meet deadlines and help keep the work flowing
- Manage all assigned development projects, including preparing budgets, transportation documents, site reports, purchase orders, and quarterly chargeback programs
- Supervise the execution of all action plans for your assigned projects
- Networking and love building relationships and partnerships across a variety of stakeholders.
- Working with a variety of internal stakeholders at different levels of seniority, from the wider Cortland European team, LIV Consult Team, as well as the US based Design team.
- Presenting your work and capabilities externally and bringing in 3rd party business and long-term clients.
THE IMPACT YOU CAN MAKE
- Your concepts are so unique and creative, everyone on your team wishes they could move into the spaces you’ve designed.
- Design projects are completed on time and on budget with superior functionality, safety, and aesthetics
YOUR BUILDING BLOCKS OF SUCCESS
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in professional design work, ideally in high quality residential, new development, student accommodation and/ or hotel interior design
- Bachelor’s degree in Interior Design, Architecture, Decorative Arts, or related field
- Extensive knowledge of and/or contacts with suppliers and vendors
- Well-versed in units of measure; able to clearly communicate site-specific dimensions
- High level understanding of Conceptual Design
- Understanding of human interaction with spaces
- Experience in space planningusing CAD
- Understand the interface with Building Information Modelling (BIM) systems
- An eye for design for operation, keeping the invisible back-of-house in mind.
- Comfortable designing spaces for a variety of demographics.
- Exterior Spaces Design experience including placemaking, street furniture and landscape design
- Being familiar with working in an environment where you are working within the brand standards
- Interior Design Skills including design, furniture, liveable spaces, colour, technology, art & sculpture and typography and signage.
- Project Management Skills, working from inception to completion and have experience with managing budgets
- Technical skills in terms of understanding construction and being CAD trained.
- Strong presentation skills, having extensive experience in drawing, building mood boards, CAD drawings, modelling, renderings and strong in the presentation of your ideas.
- Comfortable writing specification as well as your own narrative on spaces.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities without immediate supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders both internally and externally
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize daily tasks to meet deadlines timely
- Collaborative approach to working with clients and associates across all levels
- Attention to detail
- Ability to approach problems both logically and creatively
This role will require some travel both domestic and internationally.
THE CORTLAND DIFFERENCE
At Cortland, we create, reimagine, and manage apartment communities for residents nationwide. Headquartered in Atlanta, GA, we have communities and regional offices all over the country, as well as overseas. From product design and procurement to general contracting and property management, we do it all – to make sure our communities are the perfect setting for living life to its fullest.
Our success is filled by our belief in a better life – where hospitality is always a given, each detail is worth a second thought, and every open door is a new opportunity to go beyond expectations. We come to work every day to create possibilities for people – possibilities that translate into superior living spaces and experiences designed to inspire our residents, associates, and investors to live a better life focused on what matters most to them.
Cortland is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud to support and celebrate diversity in the workplace. We are committed to equal consideration for all qualified applicants regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or assistance with the application process and/or using our website, please email email@example.com or call 0044 207 016 0026.
Cortland is a drug-free workplace.