- Requisition ID: 222895, Area Contracts Manager
- Relocation Authorised: National - Single
- Project: NS&E UK
- Location: Various Locations, UK
- Other Requirements: Ability to obtain and maintain required SC security clearance
Bechtel is a trusted engineering, construction and project management partner to industry and government. Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact. Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Bechtel serves the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. www.bechtel.com
Multi-year UK nuclear infrastructure programme for which Bechtel will provide PMO (including Project, Engineering, Commercial and Construction Management) services. This programme involves a multi—billion investment in nuclear and non-nuclear facilities.
The job is likely to be executed through an NEC3/NEC4 target cost incentive fee contract.
Design Packages and Construction Packages will, pending development of the contracting strategy, likely be contracted through NEC3/NEC4 (various options – as appropriate).
- Works at project leadership level involved in delivery of infrastructure several hundred million pounds in capital value. Reports to the Area Project Manager and by matrix reporting line to the (programme) Supply Chain Manager. Will occasionally deputise for the (programme) Supply Chain Manager.
- Develop the contract strategy for the project based on Customer requirements and the overall project execution strategy considering project risk, pricing, scope, and schedule. Use the contract strategy to prepare and implement the project contract execution plan.
- Implement the project contract/subcontract formation and subcontract administration programmes in compliance to applicable Bechtel policies (e.g. Policy 230, Policy 102);
- Provide ongoing guidance in the various aspects of contract management to the Area Project Manager and key members of the project team to ensure that sound subcontract formation / administration principles are applied throughout the contracts work process;
- Participate in project related meetings, work closely with Construction, Engineering, Procurement and Project Controls, and review project financial data to:
- Ensure awareness of all project activities that may affect the prime contract;
- Identify opportunities for revenue enhancement, schedule relief and claim avoidance;
- Take appropriate actions to protect Bechtel’s interest and/or improve project performance;
- Ensure compliance with prime contract terms and conditions;
- Provide for adherence to contract insurance provisions and coordinate with the Risk Management Department on any occurrences covered by Customer or Bechtel provided insurance;
- Execute the subcontract plan, research and prepare recommendations and reports for contracting for major services, taking into consideration legal, commercial, and financial factors; maintain an awareness of current conditions throughout the life of the project;
- Participate in the development of the project bidders list. Ensure it is maintained in an up-to-date manner and contains qualified suppliers and contractors approved by the Customer when required by the Prime Contract;
- Prepares and expedites approval of bid tabulations and recommendations consistent with both customer and project interests;
- Ensure the monitoring of contract quality, cost and performance and that all contractual duties and obligations are met by all parties to each subcontract.
- Support in-depth Procurement audit of the activities of peer project teams.
- Monitors preparation of project Contracts and Procurement workhour estimates, budgets and schedules to ensure that these are developed realistically and that they meet programme objectives. Periodically reviews project Contracts and Procurement activities to ensure that operations are within approved workhour estimates, budgets and schedules, and if not, directs the preparation of a revised budget request and/or a change in activities.
- Prepares and edits presentations describing Contracts and Procurement methods, trends of lead times, prices, or other relevant information. Subject to required approvals, makes presentations to units of Bechtel, to clients, to supplier organisations, or to trade associations.
- Possesses working knowledge of engineering/construction industry contracting practices, applicable government and commercial regulations and practices, and Bechtel policies, procedures and work practices.
- The candidate will have gained experience as a contracts manager across multiple projects in roles of increasing responsibility.
- The candidate will possess extensive experience in administering design packages and construction packages using NEC3/4 form of contract.
- The position is open to United Kingdom (UK) Nationals only. UK/US dual citizens may be considered.
- This position is also subject to a successful interview and agreement upon terms and conditions of employment. Candidate must be able to obtain an SC security clearance.
- Demonstrated experience in pricing, contract law, contract drafting, administration and negotiation of change orders, effective correspondence, planning and scheduling
- Experience and/or familiarity with expediting, purchasing, supplier quality, traffic and logistics, field procurement operations and property control.
- Thorough knowledge of planning, scheduling, cost control, and quality control functions.
- Thorough knowledge of prime contract administration as well as contract/subcontract formation and administration, execution office and field procedures, and documents relating to a multi-discipline construction project
- Proficiency in the formation and administration of subcontracts from bidder pre-qualification, compilation of bid requests, receipt of bids, bid evaluation, through award, monitoring the performance of contractors, back charge procedures, resolution of claims and disputes, and other such related steps
- Technical and administrative knowledge of engineering/construction industry contracting practices, government and commercial procurement regulations and practices, Bechtel policies, procedures and work practices
- Proficiency and experience in project Contracts and Procurement operations at both jobsites and office locations.
- Understanding of Governmental Contracts and the flow-down of applicable clauses and requirements.
- Experience as the contracts lead on a UK infrastructure project of >£100M capital value within the last three years.
- Knowledge of current industry UK region commercial trends.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.