**This vacancy is for non-PCV licence holders ONLY**
Go-Ahead London is the largest bus company in the capital. We employ over 6,000 drivers operating approximately 2300 buses, from our 16 depots in South, North and East London.
Our workforce rightly reflects the communities we serve, however, we are keen to increase the number of female drivers, as we feel they are underepresented.
About you and the role of a Bus Driver
You are applying for the role of Bus Driver for Go-Ahead London - the leading operator and largest provider of bus passenger travel in London. Applying for the position of bus driver could be the start of a journey within an industry that grows its business by encouraging and developing those who see this as a genuine career opportunity.
Your licence acquisition training, to gain the PCV driving entitlement, is part of our Bus Driver apprenticeship programme which is called “Passenger Transport Driver - Bus, (Intermediate Level 2) that you will be automatically enrolled onto. The apprenticeship programme lasts for a minimum of twelve months during which time you will receive additional training over and above the initial licence acquisition training to pass the PCV tests. Once you have successfuly completed the apprenticeship programme you will gain a nationally recognised qualification which is equivalent to 5 good GCSE's.
To be considered for one of our Bus Driver Apprentice positions, you must have held a full UK driving licence for a minimum of ONE year (subject to meeting certain criteria) and be prepared to work shifts. As buses run 7 days a week, 364 days a year, your work pattern will reflect that. You will be required to work the full range of shifts which will include starting early in the mornings and finisihing late in the evenings; this will include working weekends and public holidays as required. This is a full time, permanent position.
This is a customer facing role requiring you to deal directly with our customers, route control colleagues and a variety of other people in the course of your working day. You will be expected to answer customer queries. make announcements over the public address system fitted tro our vehicles and deal with a variety of situations as part of day to day life as a bus driver. It is therefore essential that our drivers are able to communicate effectively and deal with people in a tactful, confident and professional manner.
As a Bus Driver, you will need to be numerate and literate; applicants will need to demonstrate those skills by passing a Level 1 functional skills assessment as part of the initial recuitment process.
Please note, we have no car parking at our garages, so applicants must be able to demonstrate their ability to commute by public transport to their requested location, bearing in mind that the job involves working shifts when public transport can be limited or non-existent at certain times of the day. Please note, we do not always have vacancies at all locations all of the time. We may allocate you to a garage that is not your preferred choice; in such cases we will take account of your residential location and, where possible, allocate you to the next nearest garage with vacancies.
What we offer
- Professional training (with pay) to pass the PCV theory and practical tests
- Ongoing professional development
- Excellent rates of pay with service related increases. Average earnings on completion of licence acquisition training of approximatekly £500 per week (£26,000 per annum)
- Overtime, when available, paid at enhanced rates
- Opportunity to gain a nationally recognised industry qualification
- Concessionary travel benefits for you and your partner* on London's Buses, London Underground, Overground, DLR and Tramlink. (*after three months service)
- Contributory pension scheme
- As an Apprentice Bus Driver, you can apply for a NUS Apprenticeship extra discount card (at just £11 for 12 months) entitling you to discounts in-store and online
- £500 bonus payment on successful completion of your apprenticeship programme
- The safety and comfort of your passengers is paramount at all times
- Engage with our customers in a tactful and professional manner including answering any questions they may have about their journey
- Keeping our customers informed/updated by making announcements using the public address system fitted to our vehicles
- Ensuring that your bus is fit for service at the start of your duty
- Ensuring that passengers have the correct means to pay for their journey
- Maintaining the schedule on the route
- Comply with company rules and regulations
- UK driving licence (category B) held for a minimum of ONE year
- No more than 6 Penalty points on your licence (contact us before applying if you have had a Drink/Drive conviction)
- Able to meet the DVLA medical standards to hold a PCV (category D entitlement) licence
- Numerate and literate and able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- The right to live/work in the United Kingdom