We currently have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to join us as our Apprentice Technician based in Exeter. Joining us on a full time, permanent basis, you will receive a starting salary of £11,306 in year one, rising to £16,000 per annum over time plus an excellent training programme!
South West Water is part of Pennon Group, a successful and stable business which prides itself on sustainability. We provide reliable, efficient and high quality drinking water and waste water services for a population of c. 1.7 million in Cornwall, Devon, and parts of Somerset and Dorset.
We believe that by investing in the future of our region, we are not only improving the quality of life for today’s residents and visitors but are also taking responsibility for future generations. Responsibility for the environment is central to this. Our aim is to continually drive up standards, particularly in the areas that matter most to our customers.
Our core values which are essential to our success are:
- Trusted - We do the right thing for our customers and stakeholders.
- Collaborative - We forge strong relationships working together to make a positive impact.
- Responsible - We keep our promises to our customers, communities and each other.
- Progressive - We are always looking for new ways to improve and make life better.
We know that the support and commitment of our staff is key to our success so you will receive the opportunity for ongoing development and training for a long term career with us. We’re one of the largest companies in the South West and are proud to have been awarded Investors in People recognition. In return, we offer an excellent range of benefits which include: free car parking at the majority of our sites, company Sharesave Scheme, childcare support, and various health benefits.
As a Water Operations Apprentice within South West Water you will be working within the Waste Water or Drinking Water Services Teams.
Under supervision our Apprentice Technician will be required to operate and maintain our drinking water and waste water assets which could range from a remote pumping station, sections of our distribution network to large treatment works. You will also be required to liaise with our customers to ensure excellent service delivery.
Gaining a nationally recognised professional qualification as you learn, you can look forward to great prospects with one of the South West’s largest employers.
Responsibilities as our Apprentice Technician will include:
- Undertaking all work with due care and consideration for health and safety
- Performing routine and non-routine tasks in accordance with the operational requirements
- Responding to any customer queries in a positive and informative manner
- Monitoring, optimising and controlling works’ processes, ensuring water quality and quantity is maintained within company standards
- Ensuring all activities are carried out to protect the environment
What we are looking for in our ideal Apprentice Technician:
- Have achieved, or expected to achieve, 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade A-C including Maths, English and Science
- Higher qualification such as A Level/Technical Qualification in a relevant subject area (desirable)
- Experience of the working environment (part time job/work experience) (desirable)
- Experience of team work
- Good IT skills with familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Good logical problem solver
- A basic understanding of why health and safety is important
- Ability to use initiative
- Ability to listen, follow instructions and organise self to complete tasks fully and on time
- Able to communicate well with others in writing and verbally
- Able to challenge others in order to get the most out of learning
- Motivated to learn from others
- A full UK Driving License or ability to obtain by January 2021
- Must be able to travel to and from base location
Please note, any skills you don’t currently have, we will work with you to train you!
Closing date: Sunday 25th October
If you are looking for a brand new career, please click apply now to be considered as our Apprentice Technician – we look forward to receiving your application.