Costain helps to improve lives with smart infrastructure solutions, using innovative approaches and new technologies to safeguard the security, increase the capacity, improve customer service and drive efficiency in our clients’ infrastructure programmes.
We know that deciding which career path to take is an important and often challenging decision, but it can also be an exciting one. We’ve got real opportunities for those who want to learn, adapt, be challenged and grow. No matter what your background.
Our Apprenticeship programmes offer the chance to gain practical work experience and build core skills and contacts within our Energy, Water and Transportation sectors. You’ll be supported to achieve professional qualifications, such as diplomas and degrees, and earning a salary at the same time.
What will I be doing?
- Establishing the project’s requirements and developing this into a project brief
- Working with architects, engineers, and clients to support developing the design of the project
- Administering contracts
- Building relationships with key stakeholders
- Producing and monitoring project programmes to ensure the project is delivered on time
- Communicating regularly with the team; including construction managers, subcontractors and quantity surveyors - your role throughout the construction phase will involve recording, reporting and helping to resolve problems that might arise
- Producing various reports to update the client on progress and budget
- Closing out and handing over the completed project to the client
- Working towards your formal qualification
- Keeping a work diary outlining your training progress throughout your apprenticeship
What will the programme involve?
- A recognised qualification: Level 4 Project Management (APM) – (18 months + End Point Assessment)
- Monthly workshops, webinars and online learning working towards your qualification
- Attendance on apprentice development plan
- On-going support and reviews on your progress
- 6 monthly pay increases based on performance and attendance
- Options to attend career and personal development events
- Training in line with your qualification, to help personal development
- The opportunity to progress onto a further apprenticeship
What are the benefits?
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- A range of company initiatives (to opt in to) including; Bupa, Cycle to work scheme, Health Assessments, Free eye test
- Employer Assistance Programme - 24/7 support service
- Employer pension scheme (with up to 10% matched contribution)
Where can this career take me?
On completing your apprenticeship, you may have the option to progress onto a further qualification at level 6. The skills you develop during your apprenticeship are highly transferrable and could aid you moving into roles including, but not limited to; assistant project manager, junior project manager, project team leader or roles within leadership and management.
We’re looking for:
- A passionate individual looking to undertake an apprenticeship with an award-winning employer
- An organised individual that can work well to deadlines
- A clear communicator
- Someone who can multi-task and prioritise
- Someone with a keen interest in the latest technology
- Someone that enjoys challenges in their day to day work
- 2 A-levels in any subject OR Level 3 qualification in a similar Project Management qualification or engineering discipline
- Equivalent of 5 GCSEs, grades A*-C or 9-4, including Maths and English
You’re good at:
- Communicating clearly, both written and verbally
- Getting it right the first time, with good attention to detail
- Works well within a team, but equally on your own
- Using a computer and Microsoft software
This role might be for you if you’re: Enthusiastic to learn and develop your planning, leadership and communication skills and enjoying working with a team.
Closing date for applications: October 2020
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
It is expected that you will work to be a part of the wider project team, living by the programmes expected values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why work for us?
Talent comes in many different guises. At Costain we recognise this and work with employees to take them where they want to go rather than where we think they should go. We are fully committed to creating a safe place to work, where everyone can be at their best, every day. A workplace where everyone can be their true self, feel valued and understood for who they are and what makes them unique.
As a mark of our progress we were named as a Times Top 50 Employer for Women in 2018 and again in 2019. In addition to this, we have won various awards, including IChemE Diversity and Inclusion, Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Employer of the year and a Business in the Community (BITC) Game Changer award. Manchester and London Pride parades are now established dates in the Costain calendar, and we are proud to be a Stonewall diversity champion. We are a member of Working Families, an early signatory to the BITC Race Charter and a Disability Confident Committed employer.
Costain value that everyone is different and by being different, our people can bring their own valuable contribution to the business. Creating an inclusive culture makes us more able to recruit, retain and progress a diverse workforce, increasing employee engagement and experiencing higher levels of wellbeing.
Our employee benefits
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits. As well as a competitive salary, our employees enjoy a comprehensive core benefits package which includes:
- Group Pension Plan, to help you save for the future
- Employee Assistance Programme, to help employees and their families balance the pressures of work and home life
- Incentive payments to recognise high-performance
- Life assurance, to help protect your loved ones financially
- Funded membership to a professional Institute
- Private healthcare and dental packages
- Salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme
- Discounted gym membership, to keep you as fit and as healthy as you can be
- Volunteering days, so you can give back to your local community
- Save as You Earn (SAYE) scheme, that lets you save towards buying shares in Costain
Costain, and the Armed Forces
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we’ll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK. You may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.