Stevens & Bolton is one of the largest teams of lawyers in the South outside London. Independently recognised as one of the UK's leading national law firms we build deep relationships with our clients, whose satisfaction with our services is the true measure of our success.
Our single office approach ensures excellent communications and efficient co-ordination of our resources. We handle complex and strategic work for our clients, but appreciate the importance of value for money, commercial awareness and flexibility. International work is as important to us as our domestic practice and we regularly work with many carefully selected law firms around the world.
We want enjoyment to be a primary driver in the working day - and a key 'reason to be here' for our employees. It's a philosophy that comes from the top and cascades through the organisation. It is upheld through a combination of factors: delivering quality in everything we do; securing stimulating, challenging work that stretches and rewards; employing truly distinctive, diverse people who willingly engage, collaborate and support; committing to continuous development for everyone; and providing a sustaining environment in which people can learn and grow.
The general responsibilities of your role include; providing support for the Microsoft & proprietary legal software environments, managing software implementations / deployments and being responsible for the day-to-day supervision of the Helpdesk team. Thoroughly investigating and resolving issues to a high technical standard, and supporting software & hardware refreshes.
You will be required to effectively monitor software environments, identifying improvements and carrying out preventative maintenance (out of hours when downtime is required).
In this role you will be expected to provide cover during illness or absence to the Helpdesk team. The Helpdesk currently supports some of the following (but not limited to); MS Office, PMS, DMS, IP telephony, scanning and printing solutions. This will involve answering, logging and responding to support requests over the phone or via email when providing backup support during illness or absence. You will be required to assist in resolving these issues over the phone, via remote desktop & through desk visits. You will act as an escalation point, providing 3rd line support to the IT Helpdesk team.
This is an internal client-facing role which requires a high-level of professionalism and good customer service, with a motivated approach to dealing with staff members. The IT department is constantly focused on improving customer service levels and response times through the development and maintenance of excellent working relationships with staff members. It will often fall to you to promote and encourage the adoption of new systems along with existing policies and procedures.
To maintain, support and carry out implementations and deployments of the Microsoft & proprietary legal software environments, including but not limited to; Microsoft SQL Server, HP Autonomy Worksite / Filesite / EMM, LawSoft, BigHand, eCopy, Laserform, Workshare Compare / Protect, Microsoft Office Professional and to provide 3rd line support for the abovementioned systems and use SQL / reporting skills to support the PMS and DMS.
To provide day-to-day supervision of the Helpdesk and its staff, and to act as mentor / 3rd line escalation point, to IT Helpdesk team.
To provide feedback and Helpdesk service / performance reports on a regular basis to the Head of IT.
To manage and maintain the IT business continuity solution and backup solutions.
To respond in a timely manner to emails or telephone support calls, and to ensure that the “client’s” level of expectation is established, communicated and satisfied.
To properly log every call, and maintain call records in appropriate detail, using our helpdesk software.
To deal with and resolve IT issues; over the phone, by remotely connecting to PCs, through desk visits, or by escalating appropriately to external support companies.
To ensure that end-users comply with the firm’s IT policy and report any contraventions to the Head of IT.
To act as liaison, and develop and sustain good, professional working relationships with external support companies, when progressing calls while ensuring an effective, timely resolution is communicated internally.
To provide regular feedback of operational and support experiences to the Head of IT, and offer recommendations as to how these might be revised or enhanced.
To install all end-user hardware and software, including mobile and remote solutions, and to help maintain a stable end-user environment.
To disseminate IT communications to end-users, and return their feedback and comments to the Head of IT (and the IT Team where appropriate).
Administration and housekeeping
To always ensure that adequate documentation is always produced or made available.
To help maintain the fixed asset register and software inventory for all IT assets.
To produce weekly reports from the helpdesk system and discuss these, along with the week’s activities, at weekly IT department meetings.
To contribute to the development and maintenance of all IT documentation and the knowledge base.
- Degree and / or Microsoft (or similar) accredited training would be advantageous.
- Able to demonstrate practical IT infrastructure & project experience, preferably in professional services. Experience of dealing with end users in a professional environment & prioritising own workload to meet expectations.
- Excellent understanding of Windows server & workstation environments, in a VMWare / storage area network environment, including Active Directory and its integration with other systems
- Experience of installing, managing & troubleshooting Microsoft Exchange & SQL environments. SQL / Crystal reporting skills advantageous
- Proficient in supporting Microsoft Office, especially Word, in a professional environment, and other popular software products (e.g. Adobe).
- Experience of practise & document management systems advantageous (PMS and DMS)
- Cisco & Juniper experience is a plus, as is the understanding of best practise security procedures.
- Knowledge of specialist legal software such as Interwoven, LawSoft, Workshare, Bighand, etc. would be advantageous.
- To be professional at all times when dealing with users (i.e. remain calm, patient and polite).
- To prioritise and manage their own time, and be conscientious in regards to record keeping
- To deal efficiently and effectively with all support calls from members of staff with differing levels of competency, and escalating these when necessary.
- To effectively communicate ideas and enthuse others by building and maintaining good working relationships with staff members, the IT team and external support companies.
- A team player with a professional approach to his or her career. Excellent communication skills at all levels, should be customer focused, and able to prioritise / manage client expectations. Enthusiastic with a ‘can do’ attitude and displays a willingness to learn. Calm under pressure and able to meet tight deadlines.