|Job Title||Application Operations Manager - Watford (C)|
|Function||KPMG Business Services|
|Service Line Information||Over 1,000 people make up KPMG Business Services and they all play a key part in the firm's success. Whether they're in finance, procurement, HR, facilities, marketing or IT, they provide crucial support to the people who work in our UK offices. Flexibility and adaptability. These are just a couple of the things KPMG looks for in its IT Services team. We're a function of KPMG Europe LLP and, as such, we're a group that constantly needs to deliver a highly-flexible, customer-focused service in response to the changing needs of the business.|
|KPMG Overview||KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.|
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
Job Title: Application Operations Manager
Business Unit: IT Services
Reporting Manager: Head of Service Operations
Work Location: Watford
Travel Required: Yes
Additional: Out of hours escalation point as part of an on-call rota
The Applications Operations Manager supports the Service Operations function of IT Services. The role is responsible for the day to day operations of the application related services supporting the delivery of IT to the Firm. This includes the following components of the IT service, across all ITS managed environments:
- Enterprise Platforms and Applications (e.g. email, DMS, mobile, file etc)
- ITS Managed Business Applications
- ERP solutions (SAP, CMR, HCM, MI etc)
- Data Management and Analytics platforms
Application Management and Monitoring Systems Primary responsibilities include:
Day to day management of the teams supporting these components of the IT
Monitoring and reporting of performance of services and teams;
Development and maintenance of the associated operational plans (capacity, upgrade, support lifecycles etc);
Creation of operational acceptance criteria required for the successful delivery of new services;
Resource management and forecasting;
Budgetary control and management for the services;
Management of supplier performance, where it is related to the delivery of services (where appropriate);
Determining the structure of the teams supporting these services to ensure fit for purpose operation, adjusting as required to address changes to technologies and scope of services;
Specifying training and development needs for teams and individual resources;
Maintaining of associated operational documentation, including periodic assessments;
The candidate will be able to demonstrate good broad technical knowledge, to a level where they can challenge and support technical decisions being made by their team. The role is not expected to be an SME across all services; the deep technical knowledge will reside within the teams.
The role is also responsible for managing the relationship of this team with Solutions, providing support and assignment of resource into projects to ensure adequate skills and knowledge are applied to delivery and transition into an operational state.
The Application Operations Manager manages the team responsible for the day to day delivery of ITS application services. They are accountable for ensuring the service provided through the team is in line with business expectations and delivers sustainable performance and availability.
Specific responsibilities include:
Ensuring capacity management is performed and systems are capable of delivering services without unnecessary excessive utilisation and cost;
Resource forecasting and fulfilment, leveraging a range of supply options to support the services on an ongoing basis (including peaks in demand);
Monitoring and reporting on performance of the team against OLA’s and business expectation;
Identification of improvements in terms of operational efficiency of the various IT systems;
Creation of business cases and budgetary forecasts to support upgrades, improvements and refreshes of associated services;
Specify the operational requirements to support acceptance of change and new demand (projects), applying pragmatism to these requirements at the point of delivery to ensure operational stability;
Oversee tasks required to ensure operational readiness to accept new services delivered into the environment, influencing the scope and success criteria of pilot and/or proof of concept tasks
Supporting customer aligned managers in dialogue with the business to understand changes in operational requirements and perceived constraints with the service;
Work with the CTO function to understand and input into the overall IT services technology strategy and understand future skills requirements. The role will be expected to challenge assumptions made in respect to major changes in Technologies;
Liaise with the Vendor Management team to support performance reviews and improvement plans with underlying suppliers of services within the scope of this role;
Providing assistance to other Service Operations teams in the delivery of their solutions to customers;
Management of operational documentation to reflect changes as a result of upgrades and changes (scope or process) etc;
Organising and executing periodic testing of recovery plans for services;
Provision and presentation of Service Operations management information to departmental senior management;
Major incident management and the creation of Post Incident Reports, in accordance with process;
Management of escalated complaints and feedback ensuring any are responded to in a professional manner;
Be a role model to other members of the team, by demonstrating professional attitude and behaviour at all times.
- Significant IT service operations delivery in a large scale enterprise environment. Ideally including experience from within the Big 4.
- Experience of managing a complex IT operation which is a combination of internal resources and 3rd party managed services
- Ability to identify opportunities for operational efficiency and implement agreed solutions
- Innovation / thought leadership / industry knowledge
- Resilience, with high focus on achieving goals and outcomes.
- High energy, flourishes in fast pace, dynamic environments
- Customer Centricity
- Fluent English Language skills, written and verbal, within and across teams, up through executive channels and across vendors and third parties.
- Ability to Develop and explain complex operational management information
- Appetite to lead a team in a unpredictable, high decision volume, evolving environment
- Experience of service operations management with particular focus on development and implementation of ITIL processes
- Ability to report at senior level across multiple processes, focusing on the key operational data
- Experience of capacity and availability management and reporting
- Experience of establishing full change and release processes and management across a large and complex IT enterprise
- Experience of leading BCP\\DR processes with the ability to ensure processes are relevant to critical business requirements in the event of an emergency
- Ability to develop and leverage strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work under pressure dealing with a high volume of change
- Experience of budgeting and forecasting
- Managing milestones, quality standards
- Managing partner/suppliers/clients
- Decision maker, able to act on own initiative but also able ask for guidance when appropriate
- Experienced in planning, facilitating, and managing change.
- Experience of working in a matrixed, dual reporting organisation where not all resources are directly owned by you
- Experienced in a wide base of tech
|Our Deal||If the chance to work with interesting clients and innovative technology wasn’t rewarding enough, we’ll motivate you in other ways too. At KPMG you can expect real responsibilities and opportunities to grow professionally. |
‘Our Deal’ sets out all the different ways you’ll be rewarded at KPMG. Among other things you can benefit from honest conversations about your career as well as a range of other rewards. In all these ways and more, we have created an environment that can bring out the best in you.
|Flexible Working||While some of our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, we are supportive where possible of helping you to achieve a balance between your home and work demands. |
We are happy to discuss individual requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements could be of interest. Furthermore, as part of the recruitment process, we can put you in touch with people who work flexibly so you can understand from them what our culture is like.
|Applying with a Disability||KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of the Business Disability Forum we're committed to ensuring that you are treated fairly throughout our Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss any reasonable adjustments that you may require, with your recruitment contact.|
KPMG's commitment to diversity
We are proud of the value we place on individuality; we want you to bring your full self to work and truly maximise your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results for our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG.
Returning to work after a break
At KPMG, we appreciate that returning to work after an extended career break can be daunting. We understand that those with experience who have taken a career break have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer our organisation, which helps us to achieve our business goals. We will support you to refresh your skills, develop your confidence and provide a supportive network across the firm to help you best integrate into the working environment. This role welcomes applications for individuals who have been out of work for 18 months or more and who have previous relevant experience.
Policy for Agencies
KPMG has a commitment to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies. Please check here to see our policy on agencies: Policy