The Programme Leader is an essential member of the NCS seasonal staff team, responsible for up to 84 young people and 15 seasonal staff members.
You will be responsible for the smooth running of the programme, line managing your seasonal staff team, and ensuring the wellbeing and support of all young people on the programme. This is a rewarding and challenging role, and will require long working hours and occasional night shifts during the residential phases of the NCS programme.
The Programme Leader acts as the ‘face’ of the NCS programme to all staff and participants, and works closely with the core staff team at The Challenge. This role is suitable for an exceptional people manager with experience of working with young people.
- Manage up to 14 staff throughout the programme to ensure the safety and pastoral care of all young people and the effective delivery of the NCS programme.
- Work with the core staff team to complete overall feedback on each staff member, and ensure regular performance feedback is given to staff throughout the programme.
- Manage timings and processes to ensure the programme runs to schedule.
- Hold all sensitive information of young people on the wave in line with The Challenge data protection policies.
- Lead engaging pre-set evening sessions with all young people on the programme, and assist with other curriculum delivery where necessary.
- Work with the Assistant Programme Leader to support their management of behaviour on the programme and deliver any sanctions necessary.
- Experience of managing and inspiring a staff team.
- Experience of motivating groups of young people, providing pastoral support and managing challenging behaviour.
- Experience of working in a fast-paced and demanding environment, making decisions under pressure and adapting working styles to different environments and teams.
- The ability to understand and follow Safeguarding and Health and Safety guidelines - alongside other organisational policies and procedures.
- Strikingly positive and motivated attitude, with a passion for building stronger communities and seeing change in society
- Experience of working in a residential environment.
- Experience of leading a curriculum.
- Knowledge and experience of working on social action projects.