Do you have a Masters or higher degree (or equivalent) in a scientific discipline related to toxicology or significant experience in toxicology risk assessment?
Do you have previous demonstrable written and verbal experience of producing and contributing to technical reports within the field of toxicology/ chemistry?
Do you want to work for a FTSE 100 company that is a leader in its field?
If you answered yes to all of the above, we want to hear from you as we have an exciting opportunity for a Toxicologist to join our dynamic team based in Leicester.
Comments from a current toxicology employee:
“Intertek have provided me with the appropriate tools, training and stimulating professional challenges that continually help me to develop my full potential as a toxicologist”
Intertek is a leading Total Quality Assurance provider to industries worldwide. Our network of more than 1,000 laboratories and offices and over 43,000 people in more than 100 countries, delivers innovative and bespoke Assurance, Testing, Inspection and Certification solutions for our customers’ operations and supply chains.
Intertek Total Quality Assurance expertise, is delivered consistently with precision, pace and passion, enabling our customers to power ahead safely.
Intertek Health, Environmental & Regulatory Services helps companies resolve complex scientific and toxicology issues, develop scientific and strategic regulatory and compliance plans, and facilitate timely regulatory global approvals.
They deliver success and minimize client risk through their broad expertise and depth of knowledge of toxicology, product safety, and risk assessment principles, as well as the regulatory approval processes that govern products that touch a vast range of industries (primarily including: Chemicals (including Agri & Pesticides), Cosmetics & Personal Care, Environmental Health, Safety & Sustainability, Food, Supplements & Animal Nutrition, Food Contact, Global Restricted Substances and Pharmaceutical, Healthcare & Medical Devices) in jurisdictions around the world. Intertek does more than simply answer scientific questions and help our clients with regulatory compliance; they give clients the competitive advantage they desire.
About the role
The Toxicology and Regulatory Group in our HERS division at Intertek has a challenging opportunity for a Toxicologist and Regulatory Expert at our office in Leicester, UK in the safety assessment of consumer and household products and in particular, cosmetics, detergents, medical devices, biocides and toys such as paints and inks. This is an exciting opportunity to work with our network of global teams across Intertek and contribute your experience of legislation and toxicological risk assessment and help to make your mark on the business.
As a member of the Toxicology Group, you will:
• Have comprehensive experience of toxicological risk assessment, preferably of consumer or formulated industrial products.
• Be able to write a critical evaluation of toxicological profiles for raw materials thoroughly evaluating any impurities
• Ideally have knowledge of the EU Cosmetics regulation and guidance and your own ideas and opinions related to the safety assessment of cosmetic products.
• Ideally but not essential have working knowledge of other regulatory areas including hazard classification (CLP or GHS), Detergent regulation, REACh.
• Direct and manage resources, activities and timelines to ensure that projects are effectively executed to meet client and business objectives.
• Be jointly responsible for the quality control of complex scientific projects
• For many customers you will be offering advice on formulations, warning labels and providing a one-stop-shop of toxicological and regulatory expertise.
• Act as an in-house scientific advisor on complex scientific and regulatory issues.
• Keep abreast of scientific trends and changes by participating with scientific agencies and attending scientific conferences.
The successful candidate must be willing to travel to advise clients of relevant legislation (normally in cosmetic products) and to build a strong command of these legislation to advise industry through presentations at international conferences, seminars. Some global travel may be required.
Qualified candidates will go above and beyond, have a strong background in toxicology, ideally be EUROTOX registered and hold the appropriate qualifications and experience in toxicological risk assessment.
Required skills and experience
• Good IT literacy skills (MS Office)
• A Masters or higher degree (or equivalent) in a scientific discipline related to toxicology or significant experience in toxicology risk assessment.
• Demonstrable scientific expertise to analyse and interpret complex scientific issues within the overall field of toxicology/chemistry.
• Extremely strong writing skills as a professional scientist
• Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal and communication (verbal, written, listening and presentation) skills in fast-paced, dynamic and changing environment.
• Work is undertaken for customers across the globe, so an appreciation of cultural differences and an awareness of differing regulatory requirements is essential.
• Promotes company values to others and supports values in daily activities and decisions
• Results driven to focus contribution on activities which meet company goals and deliver the
• greatest value
• Ability to critique and improve activities through continuous improvement and innovation
• Ability to demonstrate exceptional customer service
• The ability to demonstrate respect, equity and empathy for a diverse community
• Motivated, self-starter
• Encourage teamwork (promote operational synergies and alignment) to support each other, our customers and grow together
• Highly energised mind-set with willingness and desire to learn and adapt individually
• Drive performance by ensuring performance expectations are met
• Fosters integrity and honesty
• Ensure compliance to company, industry and regulatory standards
• Highly organised with strong attention to detail
• Confident communicator (written/ oral) and able to build rapport, quickly and effectively
• Demonstrates flexibility and resilience in order to meet the demands of the role
• The ability to plan and prioritise your own workload to meet agreed deadlines by staying focused and using time effectively to ensure work is completed on time with precision, pace and passion.
Why join Intertek?
For more than 130 years, Intertek’s story has always been about innovation. In 1885 we began testing and certifying grain cargoes before they were put to sea, and in 1888 we pioneered the idea of independent testing laboratories. Then in 1896, the greatest inventor of them all became part of our story - .Thomas Edison, who released the wonders of electricity and the light bulb in a Quality Assured way. This is a journey we now continue, through our network of 43,000 talented and energised people across multiple global business lines.
Intertek is a family that is committed to working together to bring quality and safety to life in an environment which respects diverse perspectives, experiences and traditions, as essential, and values each employee’s contribution toward achieving their business objectives.
By joining Intertek’s global team you will share our vision of becoming the world’s most trusted partner for Quality Assurance. In addition you will work with some of the best, brightest, and most inspiring people in the Assurance, Testing, Inspection, and Certification industry who go above and beyond to deliver Total Quality Assurance to industries worldwide whilst exceeding customer expectations, globally 24/7.
As a matter of courtesy, we will try to respond to all applications. However, due to the volume of applications received, we may not be able to respond to individual candidates. If you have not been contacted within 4 weeks unfortunately, your application has been unsuccessful. Please do not let this deter you from applying for vacancies in the future should you meet the minimum requirements of the role.
Intertek operates a preferred supplier arrangement and we do not accept unsolicited approaches from agencies