Vertex is looking for a Tax Research Analyst for the EMEA region that will work closely with the Tax Research and Product Development teams. The Tax Research Analyst will analyze VAT/GST and other indirect tax requirements and implement those during monthly updates in the Vertex Indirect Tax products. He/she will contribute to the development of requirements for
new tax functionality. Candidate will reside in any of the existing locations in Europe (Netherlands, UK). This role will appeal to a detail oriented, creative thinker that enjoys problem solving and is interested in tax software/ technology. Understanding of VAT/GST information and the ability to determine how they apply to the products is desirable, but not a must.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitor changes in VAT/GST and other indirect tax legislation on a continuous basis.
- Implement VAT/GST changes, like rates and place of supply rules within our software.
- Design and test complex indirect tax content in the Vertex product and internal databases to ensure accuracy and functionality.
- Communicate with third party service providers and local tax authorities to obtain requirements related to VAT/GST rates and place of supply rules.
- Provide expertise and support for testing and implementing systems and/or process changes to support increased efficiencies or conformance with tax rules.
- Represent Vertex as a subject matter expert at product demonstrations, presentations, seminars, panels and webcasts if needed.
- Understand and resolve complex customer issues and systems architecture to develop solutions.
- Communicate to workgroup and product team the changes and impact to product.
- Develop business requirements for product enhancement and test resulting functionality for accuracy.
- Lead or participate in other operational and strategic projects or duties as assigned.
- Contribute to the development of requirements for new tax functionality
- Lead or participate in complex projects or duties.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Understand tax information and the ability to formulate interpretations and determine how they apply to Vertex
- Strong aptitude for detail.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong time management and ability to meet deadlines.
- Exceptional analytical and logical problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with tax research tools.
- Must be able to work in a dynamic, team-based environment and be able to adapt to changing and multiple priorities.
- Ability to apply professional concepts and experience to evaluate identifiable factors in order to resolve a wide range of issues in creative ways.
- Works without supervision and has wide latitude for independent judgment.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task projects with individuals from various areas of the company.
- Superior communication (oral, written, presentation and facilitation) skills.
- Ability to co-present at product demonstrations, seminars, panels and webcasts.
- Must be results oriented, customer focused and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Taxation, Math or related discipline.
- 10 years of general business experience is strongly desired.
- Demonstrated international VAT/ indirect tax knowledge
Other Qualifications - The Winning Way behaviors that all Vertex employees need in order to meet the expectations of each other, our customers, and our partners Diverse industry or consulting experience
- Communicate with Clarity - Be clear, concise and actionable. Be relentlessly constructive. Seek and provide meaningful feedback.
- Act with Urgency - Adopt an agile mentality - frequent iterations, improved speed, resilience. 80/20 rule - better is the enemy of done. Don't spend hours when minutes are enough.
- Work with Purpose - Exhibit a "We Can" mindset. Results outweigh effort. Everyone understands how their role contributes. Set aside personal objectives for team results.
- Drive to Decision - Cut the swirl with defined deadlines and decision points. Be clear on individual accountability and decision authority. Guided by a commitment to and accountability for customer outcomes.
- Own the Outcome - Defined milestones, commitments and intended results. Assess your work in context, if you're unsure, ask. Demonstrate unwavering support for decisions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals in this position. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.