Senior or Principal Ecologist
Glasgow or Edinburgh
Excellent Salary & Benefits Package on offer
This is a fantastic time to join RPS. We are looking to recruit highly motivated and ambitious employees to work on a wide variety of high-profile projects. With an enviable client list, and the highest calibre multi-disciplinary back up team, we are able to offer unparalleled opportunities to showcase your talents and truly develop your career.
We are looking to recruit an experienced and commercially minded Senior or Principal Ecologist with the ability to support further growth of our ecological services. The key requirement for this post is a combination of commercial acumen, technical skill, successful project delivery and the highest level of client care.
Our workloads are expanding across Scotland (and northern England) so whilst the post is designed to serve our Edinburgh office there may be scope to work from Glasgow or Inverness.
The role’s technical focus is ecological services for infrastructure projects, including Ecological and/or Aquatic Clerk of Works. In the latter respect, we are particularly keen to hear from individuals with significant aquatic or fisheries experience, as part of their wider skill set, and also from holders of an SNH bat license.
Whilst helping to grow, manage and support our ecological team, the role will be delivering ecological appraisals, habitat and protected species surveys and studies, mitigation design and construction and post-construction supervision and monitoring. You will take on responsibility for the oversight and management of more junior team members’ technical work and outputs, and generate new client relationships and work streams.
The role is a management role within the Scotland-wide team of ecologists. The person will be expected to make a significant contribution to the development of a workstream of ecological projects, together with oversight of their day to day management and supervision of their technical delivery. As part of the Ecology Team their responsibilities would be:
· Generating and effectively managing new business
· Project managing a wide and varied workload and supervising field staff and survey effort
· Liaising with clients to develop lasting relationships
· Ecological Impact Assessment
· Habitats Regulations Assessment and EIA
· Technical Oversight and sign-off of Project Outputs
· Undertaking and over-seeing ECoW and Aquatic Clerk of Works
· Ecological Mitigation Design and Implementation
· Staff Mentoring and Management
· Financial planning and Management
You will need to hold a Degree in Ecology (or similar) and be a chartered member of the Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM). You are likely to be an established ecological consultant with proven team leader and management experience with at least five years’ experience working in ecological consultancy. You are also likely to have the following skills/experience:-
· An ability to plan and undertake the full range of surveys (notably aquatic, fisheries, and/or bats) and also other habitat surveys to a high standard and to identify indicator plant species and habitat types
· Full knowledge of UK and EU Wildlife Legislation and best practice survey techniques
· Significant on-site ECoW/AqCoW experience on infrastructure projects
· Demonstrable experience working as an ecologist in a leadership position
· Experience in work-winning for major projects
· In depth knowledge of the industry and professional consultancy
· Strong leadership qualities, project management skills and self-motivation
· Developed skills in large scale schemes including EIAs
· Knowledgeable about Scotland’s environment, its stakeholders and guidance
As this role requires site/client visits then a full driving license is required.
Any experience of Public Inquiries or the implementation of EPS (or other Licence applications) would be an advantage but is not essential.
In return, we offer an excellent salary and benefits package including 24 days holiday, Car (or Car Allowance), Pension and Life Assurance. You will also be eligible to participate in the Company Share Purchase Scheme. This is an excellent opportunity to showcase your talents and develop your career with one of the UK’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancies.
RPS is an Equal Opportunities employer.