Do you want to be part of a fast-growing, dynamic, successful team as part of a FTSE 100 company?
Do you want to work for a company that rewards performance?
If you answered yes to all of the above we want to hear from you as we have an exciting opportunity for a Sampler to join our dynamic team based in Southampton.
Intertek is a leading Total Quality Assurance provider to industries worldwide. Our network of more than 1,000 laboratories and offices and over 43,000 people in more than 100 countries, delivers innovative and bespoke Assurance, Testing, Inspection and Certification solutions for our customers’ operations and supply chains.
Intertek Total Quality Assurance expertise, is delivered consistently with precision, pace and passion, enabling our customers to power ahead safely.
Intertek's Caleb Brett UK business provides quality and quantity measurement, inspection, and laboratory testing services to the global oil, gas, petrochemical, petroleum refining & distribution, natural gas, biofuels, marine, and chemicals industries. They help their clients protect and manage their risk during custody transfer, storage, transportation and other activities related to their cargo assets. Their qualified personnel also provide technical expertise and additive treatment services, helping clients to protect and optimise the return on their cargo business activities.
They have one of the largest networks of analytical testing laboratories in the world. Using advanced analytical technologies, our experienced chemists, material scientists, technicians and lab managers provide clients with key purity and component testing, able to measure elements and compounds into the parts-per-trillion level. Our analytical assessment testing supports crucial quality control, troubleshooting, and research & development processes for clients on a global basis.
About the role
To carry out sampling of petroleum and chemical samples from all stages of processing, both on and off-site at client facilities, by approved and agreed techniques, and deliver / log in to the client laboratory.
To carry out water draw off procedures on Jet tanks.
The role will involve:
• Passing on any customer enquiries to the Sampler/QHSE Supervisor.
• Carrying out sampling duties using approved techniques as directed by the Sampler/QHSE Supervisor, travelling to and from client facilities as required, and transporting samples in compliance with road traffic / local site regulations at all times.
• Performing water draw off on Jet tanks as per client instructions/procedures.
• Ensuring all work carried out follows the agreed procedures as set out in the local Management system.
• Advising client facility Supervisors of operational or QHSE issues that arise during sampling activities and informing the Sampler/QHSE Supervisor of any such action as soon as practical.
• Logging samples in to client laboratory system.
• Undertaking any additional miscellaneous duties, as directed by the Lead Technician/Chemist.
• Providing cover for absence both on shifts and during normal working hours in agreement with the Sample/QHSE Supervisor
• Bring to the attention of the Sampler/QHSE Supervisor any personal training requirements.
• Complying with all Company personnel and Compliance policies and procedures.
Health, Safety, Environment
• Ensuring that the duties of the position are conducted in a manner consistent with satisfying the obligations imposed upon the job holder by the Health and Safety at Work Act, and the provisions of the Company's management system.
• Avoiding unsafe acts and follow company Health, Safety and Environmental procedures.
• Reporting all accidents, incidents and near misses no matter how trivial.
• Participating in Investigating accidents, incidents and near misses, where required.
• Ensuring that documented risk and COSHH assessments are consulted for the work being carried out
• Ensuring that the correct Personal Protective Equipment is worn.
• Ensuring that safety devices and manufacturers instructions are followed when using equipment.
• Participating in safety tours and toolbox talks as required.
The role holder will be required to work 40 hours per week Monday to Sunday on a shift basis of 5 in 7 days, working alternate weekends.
We will provide the required training, education and mentoring that will allow you to meet the requirements of the role and develop new skills to progress in your career.
Required skills and experience
• Good IT literacy skills (including Microsoft Word and Excel)
• Good academic background either GCSEs or equivalent
• Experience in a similar role will be an advantage although not compulsory as full training will be provided.
• Promotes company values to others and supports values in daily activities and decisions
• Results driven to focus contribution on activities which meet company goals and deliver the greatest value
• Ability to critique and improve activities through continuous improvement and innovation
• Ability to demonstrate exceptional customer service
• The ability to demonstrate respect, equity and empathy for a diverse community
• Motivated, self-starter
• Encourage teamwork (promote operational synergies and alignment) to support each other, our customers and grow together
• Highly energised mind-set with willingness and desire to learn and adapt individually
• Drive performance by ensuring performance expectations are met
• Fosters integrity and honesty
• Ensure compliance to company, industry and regulatory standards
• Highly organised with strong attention to detail
• Confident communicator (written/ oral) and able to build rapport, quickly and effectively
• Demonstrates flexibility and resilience in order to meet the demands of the role
• A serious commitment to accuracy and quality while meeting goals and deadlines
• The successful candidate must be able to obtain UK baseline security clearance
Why join Intertek?
For more than 130 years, Intertek’s story has always been about innovation. In 1885 we began testing and certifying grain cargoes before they were put to sea, and in 1888 we pioneered the idea of independent testing laboratories. Then in 1896, the greatest inventor of them all became part of our story - Thomas Edison, who released the wonders of electricity and the light bulb in a Quality Assured way. This is a journey we now continue, through our network of 43,000 talented and energised people across multiple global business lines.
Intertek is a family that is committed to working together to bring quality and safety to life in an environment which respects diverse perspectives, experiences and traditions, as essential, and values each employee’s contribution toward achieving their business objectives.
By joining Intertek’s global team you will share our vision of becoming the world’s most trusted partner for Quality Assurance. In addition, you will work with some of the best, brightest, and most inspiring people in the Assurance, Testing, Inspection, and Certification industry who go above and beyond to deliver Total Quality Assurance to industries worldwide whilst exceeding customer expectations, globally 24/7.
As a matter of courtesy, we will try to respond to all applications. However, due to the volume of applications received, we may not be able to respond to individual candidates. If you have not been contacted within 4 weeks unfortunately, your application has been unsuccessful. Please do not let this deter you from applying for vacancies in the future should you meet the minimum requirements of the role.
Intertek operates a preferred supplier arrangement and we do not accept unsolicited approaches from agencies