Principal Software and Systems Engineer
Location: Cambridge, UK
Speechmatics’ versatile automatic speech recognition technology, based on decades of research and experience in neural networks, is enabling world-leading companies to power a speech-enabled future. Having already transcribed millions of hours of audio and helped customers across a diverse range of use cases and applications, the team’s mission is to build the best speech technology for any application, anywhere, in any language and put speech back at the heart of communication.
In the office, we pride ourselves on a relaxed but productive environment enabling both commercial success and personal development - we often host lunch and learn sessions and attend regular academic and commercial conferences. When we’re not working hard, we regularly host company outings and events where your plus-one is welcomed to enjoy great food, great drinks and great company! We also reward ourselves occasionally with massages, and even get our bikes fixed onsite!
We think it’s important to give a little back too, so everyone is eligible for some time off for charity work plus we’ll match your contribution via the Give As You Earn scheme. See more about our great perks below!
We are expanding rapidly and are seeking talented people to join us as we continue to push the boundaries of speech recognition. This is an opportunity to join a high growth team and form a major part of its future direction.
We are looking for a talented and experienced Principal Software and Systems Engineer, to play a leading role in the architecture, design and implementation of a number of ASR product offerings, ranging from highly scalable distributed cloud based solutions, through to feature design for existing products. Along with deep technical knowledge, the successful candidate will possess strong communication skills with an ability to quickly reach technical decisions with the wider team. The successful candidate will also play a key role in enhancing the build and CI process for simplicity and efficiency.
Because you will be joining a rapidly expanding team, you will need to be a team player who thrives in a fast paced environment, with a focus on building the software and products surrounding our core ASR engine. We strongly encourage versatility and knowledge transfer within the team, so we can share efficiently what needs to be done to meet our commitments to the rest of the company.
· Leading technical direction through distributed systems architecture design.
· Delivering high quality, maintainable and robust code on time, as part of a team.
· Executing against designs as a key player in a wider team.
· Working with the VP of Engineering to refine the software development practices and tooling in line with growth.
· Developing pragmatic solutions and building flexible systems without over engineering.
· Involvement at all stages of the software development cycle, including designing and developing new architectural systems and improvements.
· Participation in estimation and sprint planning in an agile environment.
· Working closely with other technical teams and product team to deliver on the company’s technical vision.
· Proven track record of designing and delivering robust distributed systems.
· Knowledge and passion for pushing both best practice and modern architectural patterns.
· Experience in systems design targeting high scalability and high availability.
· Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
· Intimate knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
· Strong command of several programming languages.
· Good Linux skills.
· Working in an Agile Development environment.
· Delivering micro-service based architectures.
· Experience working in a scale up environment.
· Degree in Computer Science or related field.
· Demonstrable professional experience in software development.
· Strong Python skills.
· Proficiency in C and C++ (ideally with strong STL and Boost experience).
· Strong Linux skills.
· Previous experience with Natural Language Processing techniques and ASR.
We offer a competitive salary and bonus scheme, pension contribution matching and a generous EMI share option scheme. We also have several additional benefits including private medical insurance, holiday purchase, life assurance, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, massages, bike doctor, fully stocked drinks fridge, and fresh fruit available daily to name just a few!