**This vacancy is for existing PCV licence holders ONLY**
Go-Ahead London is the largest bus company in the capital. We employ over 6,000 drivers operating approximately 2300 buses, from our 16 depots in South, North and East London.
Our workforce rightly reflects the communities we serve, however, we are keen to increase the number of female drivers, as we feel they are underepresented.
About you and the role of a Bus Driver
You are applying for the role of Bus Driver for Go-Ahead London - the leading operator and largest provider of bus passenger travel in London. Applying for the position of bus driver could be the start of a journey within an industry that grows its business by encouraging and developing those who see this as a genuine career opportunity.
To be considered for one of our Bus Driver positions, you must have held a full UK driving licence for a minimum of ONE year (subject to meeting certain criteria) with a current valid category D (PCV) entitlement.
Our bus driving vacancies are full time, permanent positions. As buses run 7 days a week, 364 days a year, your work pattern will reflect that. You will be required to work the full range of shifts which will include starting early in the mornings and finisihing late in the evenings; this will include working weekends and public holidays as required.
This is a customer facing role requiring you to deal directly with our customers, route control colleagues and a variety of other people in the course of your working day. You will be expected to answer customer queries. make announcements over the public address system fitted to our vehicles and deal with a variety of situations as part of day to day life as a bus driver. It is therefore essential that our drivers are able to communicate effectively and deal with people in a tactful, confident and professional manner.
We have no car parking at our garages, so you must be able to demonstrate your ability to commute by public transport to your requested location, bearing in mind that the job involves working shifts when public transport can be limited at certain times of the day. Please note, we do not always have vacancies at all locations all of the time. We may allocate you to a garage that is not your preferred choice; in such cases we will take account of your residential location and, wherever possible, allocate you to the next nearest garage with vacancies.
As a current PCV (Category D) licence holder, we can offer an extremely competitive package, see below.
What we offer:
- If you work for another London bus operator on Transport for London contracted services, we will recognise your current service with that company and place you on a pay rate that reflects that service, subject to you providing your Licence for London (LfL). In addition, those of you who come to us with an LfL, will also receive a holiday entitelement that will reflect that service to!
- Excellent rates of pay with service related increases. Starting salaries of £500 per week (£26,000 per annum for drivers starting on our entry grade) rising to over £31,000 per annum with service related increases.
- Overtime, when available, is paid at enhanced rates
- Opportunities for career development
- Concessionary travel benefits for you and your partner* on London's Buses, London Underground, Overground, DLR and Tramlink. (*after three months service)
- Contributory pension scheme
- The safety and comfort of your passengers is paramount at all times
- Engage with our customers in a tactful and professional manner including answering any questions they may have about their journey
- Keeping our customers informed/updated by making announcements using the public address system fitted to our vehicles
- Ensuring that your bus is fit for service at the start of your duty
- Ensuring that passengers have the correct means to pay for their journey
- Maintaining the schedule on the route
- Comply with company rules and regulations
- UK driving licence (category B) held for a minimum of ONE year
- Current category D (PCV) entitlement
- No more than 6 Penalty points on your licence (contact us before applying if you have had a Drink/Drive conviction)
- Able to meet the DVLA medical standards to hold a PCV (category D entitlement) licence
- Numerate and literate and able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- The right to live/work in the United Kingdom