Brookfield is a global alternative asset manager with over $500 billion in assets under management. We have over a 120-year history of owning and operating assets with a focus on property, renewable power, infrastructure and private equity. Brookfield is a global organization with over 100,000 employees and operations in 30 countries in 5 continents. Brookfield is co-listed on the New York and Toronto Stock Exchanges under the symbol BAM and on NYSE Euronext under the symbol BAMA.
For more information, please visit our web site at www.brookfield.com.
Our asset management business consists of 5 business groups (Real Estate, Infrastructure, Power, Private Equity, and Public Securities) in addition to the Global Manager group which covers the corporate functions.
The legal department for Private Funds consists of five lawyers. In addition, there are two tax lawyers dedicated to Private Funds. The current team is based entirely in New York but works globally to support Brookfield’s global fundraising business.
Given the growth of Brookfield’s global fundraising business, particularly outside of North America, the position of Legal Counsel, Private Funds Group will be based in London. This position will serve as the primary day to day legal contact for Brookfield’s European marketing group and client relationship managers, working with the broader team in New York.
Brookfield is seeking to hire a lawyer for the position of Legal Counsel, Private Funds based in London; to support the private funds and marketing groups. This position will be responsible for assisting with all matters related to fund formation (including supporting the marketing group and client relationship managers) and related transaction execution support (with respect to private fund matters) for Brookfield’s growing suite of private funds, with a particular focus on considerations specific to EMEA. Brookfield has experienced significant growth in its private funds and its global investor base and anticipates meaningful continued future growth. The Legal Counsel will actively participate in helping to achieve this growth.
The ideal candidate will have 3 – 5 years PQE of asset management experience in private practice or in house at an asset manager that is a registered investment adviser. The position will work closely with the broader legal team, marketing group, the client relationship managers and other corporate professionals, particularly in the tax, financing, operations and compliance & regulatory groups.
The ideal candidate will be a solutions-oriented person who enjoys working in a fast-paced, team atmosphere and the challenge of complex problem solving. The candidate should also be open to periodic travel to New York. Responsibilities will include those listed below (working in conjunction with the broader legal team).
- Provide support to legal team based in North America on;
- Term sheets, private placement memoranda and marketing materials
- Coordinate with external counsel in preparation of various fund documents
- Work with the marketing group and client relationship managers to respond to all diligence requests, including;
- Written responses to incoming legal requests, participating in conference calls to discuss key legal and other issues
- Legal review and sign off for all written diligence requests
- Support for all CRM discussions with prospective investors regarding legal and structuring terms
- Provide legal support relating to private funds matters generally, including;
- Draft or review confidentiality agreements
- Draft, review and negotiate placement agent agreements
- Assist with respect to other miscellaneous agreements
- Work with various business groups to ensure compliance with fund agreements and side letters and support ongoing fund oversight and compliance.
- Provide legal support to various platforms for ongoing matters generally, including:
- Structure each deal in conformity to the fund agreements and assisting to maximize efficiency for investors, including drafting of any required alternative investment vehicles
- Assist with co-invest or consortium arrangements
- Assist with LPAC and other investor communications, fund notices, etc.
- Respond to questions relating to agreements and best practices
- Assist with any special projects (reorganizations, etc.)
- Assist with regulatory matters (particularly those relating to EMEA-specific requirements) as required;
- Provide legal support to the compliance department as needed (with respect to private fund matters).