About the Company.
The Services Sound and Vision Corporation (SSVC) is a not-for-profit corporation and registered charity with a 70-year heritage, providing Radio and TV to Britain's Armed Forces and their families around the world. Broadcasting under the BFBS and Forces TV brands, its mission is to “serve those who serve”, by providing a vital welfare service which maintains efficiency and morale in all three Services.
Operating under a long-term contract with the Ministry of Defence (MoD), SSVC’s worldwide network of 30 radio stations and 16 TV channels has studio centres in eight countries and a global transmission network covering 16 time zones. It is responsible for the entire end-to-end broadcast system, from programme acquisition and original production, to end-user delivery to barracks, homes and Navy vessels at sea.
SSVC also operates a number of related armed forces welfare businesses including digital cinemas, a UK national TV station, UK national radio station, library and production services.
About The Department.
The Technology Division has around 50 broadcast and IT engineers who are responsible for the design and operation of all of SSVC’s technical operations, facilities and capital projects.
SSVC’s technology challenges are at the cutting edge of broadcast and IP technology, demanding a visionary approach, with practical experience and proven management ability. This role is a rare opportunity within the broadcast industry to work on truly innovative solutions which make a real difference to lives of people who serve their country.
About The Role.
Reporting to the Team Leader – Information Technology, the Infrastructure Engineer will, as part of the IT team, provide normal business operational support and project input functions across SSVC’s IT infrastructure.
The Infrastructure Engineer is expected to work closely with their peers in ensuring outstanding service availability across all IT services. A critical requirement of the role is to be a single point of escalation for the 2nd line engineers and to be the subject matter expert for core IT infrastructure services.
The candidate must have an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft, Linux, Virtualisation and SAN technologies, and a strong understanding of network architecture and topology is essential. Ideally, you will be Cisco certified with the ability to troubleshoot IP switching and routing, security and firewall problems.
The Infrastructure Engineer is a strong communicator who can remain calm under pressure and respond to multiple changing priorities.
Key Responsibilities & Prerequisites.
- Work within a team of IT engineers supporting all critical IT systems.
- Establish and maintain relationships with third party suppliers critical to the delivery of SSVC services
- Ensure that as a member of the IT team, you present a professional and customer focused approach at all times
- Ensure that you are aware of and compliant against SSVC’s Health & safety guidelines
- Ensure that all incidents, problems and changes are resolved in an efficient and timely manner and responsibility and allocation of tickets are managed throughout their lifecycle
- Ensure that all logged incidents are accurately captured and updated, including all relevant details enabling effective trend analysis
- Evaluate the impact of all faults or risks to the availability of IT services and implement any actions necessary to re-establish affected services with absolute minimal consequence to their availability
- Identify areas for service delivery improvement and best working practices
- Ensure that you follow agreed and defined best working practices
- Ensure that all agreed and defined Service Level Agreements and Operating Level Agreements are adhered to
- Ensure that you adopt a Continuous Service Improvement approach at all times
- Ensure that you follow all operational processes in support of SSVC’s Service Delivery ethos
- Support the Team Leader – Information Technology and senior management as a whole as required, in support of IT service deliverables and of the business strategy as a whole
- Ensure that any documentation related to the provision of IT services is created, updated and archived as appropriate
- Ensure ability to present complex technical information in a manner suitable for all audiences, both technical and non-technical in written or verbal form including at senior management level
- Ability to work on own initiative and to perform effectively both as an individual and as part of a team
- Support the Team Leader – Information Technology, in transitioning new services from projects into operations as ‘fit for purpose’ with a full set of relevant documentation, including training and support contracts
- In depth knowledge of Linux and Windows Server Operating Systems
- In depth knowledge of Active Directory, Group Policy, SCCM, Office 365 and InTune/Azure
- In depth knowledge of DNS and DHCP
- Support Virtualisation technologies VMWare & Hyper-V
- Knowledge & experience of WAN and firewall security policies
- An in depth understanding of TCP/IP connection configuration and trouble-shooting
- Knowledge & experience of Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop
- Knowledge & experience of Storage Area Networks, iSCSI
Desirable Qualifications and Experience.
- ITIL accreditation.
- Cisco accreditation such as CCNA/CCNP.
- ISO 27001, OSCP or equivalent security training.
- Broadcast/Media industry experience
- Security Cleared