Head of Speech
Location: Cambridge, UK
Speechmatics’ versatile automatic speech recognition technology, based on decades of research and experience in neural networks, is enabling world-leading companies to power a speech-enabled future. Having already transcribed millions of hours of audio and helped customers across a diverse range of use cases and applications, the team’s mission is to build the best speech technology for any application, anywhere, in any language and put speech back at the heart of communication.
In the office, we pride ourselves on a relaxed but productive environment enabling both commercial success and personal development - we often host lunch and learn sessions and attend regular academic and commercial conferences. When we’re not working hard, we regularly host company outings and events where your plus-one is welcomed to enjoy great food, great drinks and great company! We also reward ourselves occasionally with massages, and even get our bikes fixed onsite!
We think it’s important to give a little back too, so everyone is eligible for some time off for charity work plus we’ll match your contribution via the Give As You Earn scheme. See more about our great perks below!
We are expanding rapidly and are seeking talented people to join us as we continue to push the boundaries of speech recognition. This is an opportunity to join a high growth team and form a major part of its future direction.
We are looking for a talented speech scientist to help us build the best speech technology for anybody, anywhere, in any language. You will lead the two teams that work on our core ASR capabilities to improve our speed and accuracy and develop novel features. Your teams will feed into ‘Automatic Linguist’, our ground-breaking framework to support the building of ASR models, and hence the delivery of every language pack published by the company. You will be responsible for inspiring and guiding the teams to keeping our system the most accurate and useful commercial speech recognition available.
Because you will be joining a rapidly expanding scale-up technology company you will need to be a team player who thrives in a fast paced environment, with a focus on rapidly moving research developments into products.
Along with deep technical knowledge, the successful candidate will possess strong communication skills with an ability to quickly reach consensus on technical decisions with the wider team.
· Inspiring and leading the speech teams
· Ensuring that our speech recognition meets or exceeds that available from our competitors
· Improving our core modelling (including acoustic, pronunciation and language)
· Leading the extension of our ML framework so that we can build any language rapidly and adapt on minimal data
· Experience of leading a speech team
· Proven ability to effectively communicate highly technical subjects
· Proven track record as one of the best in the world at modern LVCSR
· Deep expertise in all aspects of speech recognition, including WFSTs, lattice processing, neural net (RNN / DNN / LSTM), acoustic and language models, Viterbi decoding
· Several years practical experience in commercial speech recognition and how to productise speech
· Experience working with standard speech toolkits, e.g. Kaldi, KenLM, etc.
· Experience using Unix/Linux for big data
· PhD degree in a relevant subject, preferably ASR
· Publication history in speech processing
· Comprehensive knowledge of machine learning and statistical modelling
· Experience in deep machine learning and related toolkits, e.g. TensorFlow, Theano, Torch, etc.
· production-grade software development experience
· Experience of working in an Agile framework
· Experience working effectively with software engineering teams or as a Software Engineer
· Ability to travel (attend conferences, etc)
We offer a competitive salary and bonus scheme, pension contribution matching and a generous EMI share option scheme. We also have several additional benefits including private medical insurance, holiday purchase, life assurance, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, massages, bike doctor, fully stocked drinks fridge, and fresh fruit available daily to name just a few!