The Financial Controller has primary responsibility for performing a variety of activities to support the Finance Manager in all aspects of the accounting department as well as the accurate and timely production of financial statements and reports. They will also provide support to the Tax and Accounting Departments, Business Managers and Managing Director.
- Identify key commercial information on customer purchase orders
- Communicate information to the relevant accounting personnel
- Monthly financial statement submission to head office
- Month end processes in line with schedule
- Accruals and prepayments
- Commentary on monthly financials against budgets
- Balance Sheet and Suspense account reconciliations
- Reporting of branch / subsidiary accounts
- Product Group financial review meetings with Managers
- Monthly business review meeting with Executive Management
- Provide financial information and documents required for customer tenders and applications.
- Annual budgets
- Review monthly accounts of Zink Properties
- Assist with annual financial audits
Tax and Treasury:
- HMRC documentation, applications and filings
- Experience of complex international and cross border transaction including VAT and customs transaction and compliance
- 3-month cashflow forecasts
- Review daily cash reporting
- Maintain schedule of HQ invoices and customer B2B payments
- Authorise supplier bank payments
- Review monthly UK VAT returns
- Ensure accuracy of transactional VAT treatment (UK & International)
- Foreign VAT reclaims
- Understanding of revenue recognition by percentage of completion
- Employee commission and sales incentives
- Employee bonus provisions in line with budgets and payments
- Maintain the accounting software (Sage, Concur)
- Support operations and IT in process development, report designing and user access rights
- Support Finance Manager and provide cover for periods of absence
Experience & Competencies
- Accounting qualification, preferably CIMA or ACCA
- Educated to A level standard or equivalent and minimum of GCSE English and Math C+
- Minimum 4 years' experience within a similar role
- Experience of complex international and cross border transaction including VAT and customs transaction and compliance would be advantageous.
- Supervisor/Manger Experience desirable
- Previous experience using Sage and Microsoft dynamic AX is desirable
- System implantation experience would be desirable
- Understanding of revenue recognition by percentage of completion would be advantageous.
- IT literate (Microsoft Office), with Excellent Excel skills.
- Good communicator verbal and written, particularly with non-accounting employees in other departments at all levels.
- Confident and assertive
- Ability to prioritize and to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Resourceful, good problem-solving skills, attention to detail and highly dependable.
- Broad understanding of accounting transactions and procedures
- Good organisation, time management skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Flexible and able to manage unexpected situations
- Good team player
- Ability to use initiative and make decisions autonomously
- Committed to continuous improvement
- Must live within 1 hour commute to the office and can drive.