Job Title: Executive Chef
Responsible to: Director of Business and Finance
Pay Band: PO1
Hours: 37 hours per week
All year round
Actual Salary £29,910
The role will require flexibility with some evening and weekend hospitality
work required and holiday taken outside of term time.
This is a hands-on role involving the full control of all aspects of the catering department and producing innovative dishes for students and staff on site ensuring a high level of customer service and satisfaction.
Main duties will consist of:
- To set out, work towards and communicate effectively a vision of excellence for the team in terms of quality, presentation and service of food to our customer base of around 2000 students and staff.
- To effectively manage the team providing leadership, support, training and advice.
- To ensure quality delivery in a very high volume operation with tight deadlines at break and lunchtimes
- To demonstrate craft skills to team members and encourage creative flair with food
- Manage and increase sale of food to students and staff with full responsibility for menu planning and development and a firm eye on the commercial viability of the operation. Monitor levels of customer satisfaction and respond accordingly.
- To liaise effectively with all members of the school, external customers and the wider community as required.
- To be responsible for the implementation and management of the Catering Development Plan to include aspects of marketing and promotion to encourage take-up
- To meet regularly with the Finance Director
- Manage and work to budgets, including control of staffing costs and food costs
- Work with HR to deal with all aspects of staff management, development and recruitment.
- Manage cash handling
- Order food and stock, working to Best Value standards and manage stock levels appropriately
- Plan, help produce and cook the food to the highest quality standards
- Control food wastage
- Ensure high standards in food presentation and cleanliness
- To ensure that the highest standards of professionalism are exhibited at all times.
- Stay up to date with current food trends
- To be willing to work flexibly in terms of working hours to meet the needs of the school.
- To offer support and monitor the progress of new staff joining the Team.
- To delegate tasks in a way which maximises the use of available talent, experience and enthusiasm.
- To keep abreast of developments and new ideas relating to catering.
- To be responsible for all Health & Safety Requirements within the work area
- To engage positively with the school’s CPD programmes and Performance Management systems
- To engage with networks both within and beyond the school that support continuous improvement.
- To take a full and active part in Leadership development activities
- To be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- To be aware of and support difference and ensure equal opportunities for all.
- To contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the school.
- To appreciate and support the role of other professionals.
- To attend and participate in relevant meetings as required.
- To participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required.
Any Special Conditions of Service:
There is a requirement to submit to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service background check. Term time working. There may be a need to occasionally work outside of school hours and off school premises, as required by the school. No smoking policy.
This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post, you may be asked to additional duties not listed above but that are appropriate to the role. It will be reviewed from time to time and may be subject to modification or amendment at any time after consultation with the holder of the post.