Design Consultant/ Work Package Owner - Electronics
Collins Aerospace is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defence industry. Created in 2018 by bringing together Rockwell Collins and UTC Aerospace Systems, Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers' toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market.
Collins Aerospace makes modern flight possible. Of course, that wouldn't be possible without the capabilities and technologies of our organisation, as well as our engineers -- a highly skilled, accomplished network that spans more than 180 sites, 24 countries and 6 Strategic Business Units (SBUs).
Our industry-leading experts are setting the standards for the aerospace industry and paving the way for the future. But as new challenges present themselves, we need fresh, creative and motivated minds to overcome these hurdles, help us break barriers and achieve new levels of innovation. Do you have what it takes to join a global, diverse organization that doesn't shy away from big opportunities? If so, we invite you to join our ranks and create the next generation of aerospace technologies.
As future technologies evolve towards the More Electric Aircraft, Collins Aerospace has a significant need for high performance electric motors and drives across its broad product portfolio. This role is to create a world class capability in the design and manufacture of high performance electric motors and motor drive systems, working closely with other Collins Aerospace divisions both as customers and partners, to establish superior, differentiated technologies for future Motor Drive Systems.
As a centre of excellence, we realise the value of a working environment where innovation and creativity can flourish. We recognise the expertise you bring to us and we encourage your continuing training and development as an engineer. We support your chartered membership of professional bodies, we offer the opportunity to be mentored by expert colleagues and you'll have access to our Employee Scholar Program - one of the most comprehensive company-sponsored employee education programs in the world. Even our contemporary new facility is planned around our people. You'll find state of the art laboratory and operations areas, as well as comfortable modern offices, with break out zones for team work and collaborative thinking.
Purpose of the Role
The successful candidate will provide technical expertise and support in the development life cycle of electronic equipment for predominantly aerospace applications.
The role is to support Lead Engineers and other staff to ensure that the product meets the internal, customer and certification requirements, and is delivered on time and to cost. The successful candidate will provide effective guidance and technical expertise to the Electronics Hardware Team liaise with other functions.
Principle Duties / Responsibilities
We are seeking an experienced electronics engineer to execute and support detailed design of high performance analogue, digital and complex hardware. Typically, you will be working with and supporting teams of three to fifteen electronics design engineers within a total team of over fifty engineers at our modern Solihull engineering base. Applications include R&D, civil and military aerospace.
The successful applicant will be required to;
- Deploy advice and expertise on critical technologies across our business unit.
- Define high level technical requirements for new products or technologies.
- Use advanced techniques to develop solutions to complex problems.
- On occasion, lead the technical customer interface, responsible for technical decision making in relation to customer requirements on projects of any scale or value, and/or act as a prime contact on a number of technical disciplines.
- Apply extensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas and assignments.
- Have a depth of specialist knowledge in a number of key skill areas.
- Be recognised by customers as an expert in the field, and known as the site's "go-to" person on a range of particular critical technologies.
- Have technical accountability, but not functional management responsibility.
- Deploy tenacity, perseverance and sound problem solving abilities.
- Assist project managers with estimating effort and cost.
- Provide airworthiness authorities with appropriate assurance that the designs have been professionally executed and proven.
- Work without appreciable direction.
- Work with proactive style, team spirit, high energy level, and positive outlook.
- Demonstrate the ability to multi task and cope with a degree of pressure in a professional product development environment.
This should not be considered an exhaustive list of the duties of the position; it is meant to give a general description of what the main duties are, recognising that the successful job incumbent may be requested to fulfil assignments in other departments within the business, commensurate with the level of this role.
Essential Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
- Outstanding analogue and digital circuit design skills, biased towards mixed signal and complex components.
- Extensive electronics design experience within aerospace, rail, medical, automotive or other high reliability, safety critical environments.
- Experience of design and test for EMC / EMI.
- Knowledge of high reliability design process and test including DO254, ARP4754, DO-160 or equivalent industry standards.
- An understanding of power electronics and thermal management techniques -- IGBTs, DC/DC converters, power supply design.
- Design for operation over extended temperature ranges, -55°C to +125°C.
- A qualification in electronics or physics is required either, PhD, MSc, Degree or HND (with extensive associated experience).
- Demonstrable Time Management skills.
- Experience with one or more of the following software tools: DOORS, Mathcad, Simulink, MATLAB, Mentor, Cadence, PSpice, SIMetrix, Electronics Workbench, TINA etc.
- Experience of electronics architectural design including grounding schemes.
- Experience of circuit protection techniques and design of interface circuits for use in harsh electrical environments.
- An understanding of brushless DC motor drive operation.
- An understanding of control system design.
Environment and Location
You can expect a dynamic environment, where process improvement is a way of life, and we constantly strive to do our work better than before, but also ensure that we take care of our people when a supportive employer is most valued.
From time to time the successful candidate may be required by the Company to perform other tasks and/or learn new skills which are not included in the above description, but are within the capabilities of the individual and, where necessary, training will be given.
Location: Fore Business Park, Solihull, located off Junction 4 of the M42, with direct links to the M6, M40 and the M5. Onsite parking. Frequent bus services offering good onward connections to rail and other bus services. Close to local amenities. Please note that we are working to expand our premises -- with work due to be completed by 2020.
Remuneration: Competitive + Excellent Benefits + Bonus