Post: Deputy Bar and Events Manager
Responsible to: Bar and Events Manager
Salary: Point 16 - 20 (£18,826 - £20,893)
Hours: Average 37 Hours per week – annualized (including evenings & weekends)
PURPOSE OF THE POST
To support the Bar and Events Manager in the operations of the popular bar and entertainment venue within the Students’ Union, ensuring they are always welcoming, vibrant and profitable. To support the organisation of annual events (e.g. Welcome Week, Celebration Week), ad-hoc events (e.g. fundraising days), and a varied weekly entertainments programme.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To duty manage the bar and venue and ensure the smooth running of the operation.
- To tend the bar and manage student staff during daytime and evening shifts.
- To support the operational aspects of all commercial activities as required by the Bar & Events Manager (B&EM).
- To manage stock and merchandiseto provide a customer-focused, attractive environment which enable sales and profits to be maximised.
- To help co-ordinate the entertainments programme with the B&EM, involving and working with student staff.
- To train and support student staff to provide an excellent, student-centred service, with regular service reviews and meetings.
- To assume overall responsibility for security and student security staff in the venue whilst in charge.
- To work with student clubs and societies to plan an entertainments schedule that is appropriate for the diversity of the student body, enabling studentgroups and Institutes to hold events in the venue.
- To work with the Marketing department to ensure that events and big screen sport areadvertised and promoted effectively.
- To help develop student feedback systems and work closely with the Elected Officers, in order that the bar and venue continuously improve.
- To help increase external bookings from the local community into the bar and venue at weekends and during vacations.
- To work on your own initiative, developing new ideas for the bar and venue, and dealing with issues as they arise.
- To ensure good relationships with key stakeholders within the University, including Security and Estates & Facilities staff.
- To compile and maintain an inventory for all entertainments equipment and report allnecessary equipment repairs, maintenance, health and safety requirements to the B&EM.
Financial and Stock Management
- To maintain awareness of the financial performance of income areas. To work with the B&EMto ensure that budgets and other targets are met and, ideally, exceeded, reporting any concerns immediately to the B&EM.
- To maximise profit through increasing sales, controlling costs and making efficiency gains.
- To maintain financial controls and ensure the Finance Department receives all relevant financialinformation promptly, in accordance with the Students’ Union financial procedures.
- To contribute to effective stock management and control, ensuring that the movement of all purchased goods is adequately recorded and reported to Finance, including placing orders,deliveries, transfers, returns.
- To prepare and assist with stock checks as required.
- To ensure that the EPOS system is used effectively and the database is maintained.
- To ensure all daily cash is recorded, reconciled to the EPOS and reported to the finance office.
- To ensure that all staff deliver exceptional customer care and receive regular training incustomer service.
- To ensure that an extensive range of products and services is available which meets customers’needs, trialing new products regularly and working with NUS and other organisations on promotional items.
- To deal with all customer feedback, in a courteous, efficient andtimely manner.
To provide a safe, clean, tidy and attractive environment for customers at all times.
- To remain up to date with the WSU’s policies and procedures and identify and undertake relevant training, where resources allow.
- To prepare for and proactively engage in the performance review cycle with your line manager.
- To attend appropriate internal and external meetings, as directed by your line manager.
- To undertake such other duties as are agreed as being in keeping with the general nature of the job and its grade.
- To adhere to the organisation’s objectives in relation to reducing our environmental impact and energy consumption in the workplace.
- To work always according to the organisation’s core aims and values.