Elsevier is a global information analytics company that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. Elsevier provides digital solutions and tools in the areas of strategic research management, R&D performance, clinical decision support, and professional education.
It is an exciting time to join Elsevier as we shape our future as a global information analytics provider. We employ over 1000 of the world’s best technologists and our technology teams are using cutting edge technologies to build products and systems that will advance science and health. We use Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing to filter, extract and learn from vast data sets, social networks and collaboration platforms.
This role supports the Customer Insights team, who work closely with their business partners to allow them to make data driven decisions to allow Elsevier to meet existing and emerging customer needs. They build deep customer understanding by soliciting opinion, measuring, watching trends, and acting on feedback. They deploy multiple tools to gain understanding of customer needs and wants - they also monitor institutional economics, day-to-day workflow and activities, user profiles and buying behaviours.
As a member of the development team you will have a passion for well thought out and straightforward solutions. You will be responsible for design, implementation, documentation and maintenance of various elements that combine to display the Customer Insights analysis on our internal reporting site on the Elsevier intranet. As well as implementing new features you will support the migration of the existing architecture from querying multiple Access databases to a new consolidated MS SQL database. You will have a good understanding of the full stack of technologies.
This challenging role will allow us to vastly improve the functionality and supportability of the current solution, offering real value to the business.
- Work closely with other technical personnel or team members to deliver high quality solutions.
- Communicate directly with stakeholders within other departments.
- Successfully follow development processes, coding best practices, and perform code reviews.
- Operate successfully in an agile development environment while collaborating with key stakeholders.
- Resolve technical issues and bug fixes.
- Keep abreast of new technology developments.
Technical Skills and Experience:
- Software Engineering experience.
- BS Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent.
- SQL Server
- ETL (Ideally)
- Build and maintain solutions in: ASP Classic, HTML5, CSS, Angular 2.
- MS SQL 2014.
- Understanding of ETL concepts and ideally tools (e.g. Informatica, Talend)
- Source Code Control tools, preferably Git.
- Familiarity of industry best practices.
- Knowledge of software development methodologies (e.g. Agile, Waterfall).
- Ability to develop high quality technical solutions with minimal supervision as well as working closely with colleagues in a small team.
- Ability to troubleshoot and complete complex bug fixes.
- Good oral and written communications skills.